Chapter 14- Ashton Eaton

Happy Friday everyone! Here's today's chapter. It's not going to be that long but I still hope you enjoy it!

****

Chapter 14- Ashton Eaton

She wants to give me filthy money. And by filthy, I mean her parents' money. People who couldn't even give their own pocket money were disgusting. They took advantage of what they were given and it made me want to barf. I didn't think Mays would stoop that low but I couldn't really blame her since she didn't work and make her own money.

As Laney shares our music lists with her, I wonder what she will say. Will she complain that the music is not to her liking? Will she say that we have to change things around because it would not please the crowd? I am waiting for it. For that pitiful smile, or none, and her telling us the music won't work.

However, I see her lips twitch upwards slightly as if she were about to smile. I lean forward a little suddenly curious if she would agree or not.

"Is this for the teens?" she asks and Laney gulps before replying a squeaky 'yes' as a question rather than an answer.

Soon, Mays smiles brightly and nods her head in an approving manner. "That's perfect for the teens. I approve. Now what about the other one?" she asks and I loosen up while Laney smiles brightly. I can't believe she actually likes my choice of music. Does that mean...she's into this type of songs? If so, I'm impressed.

"Right here!" exclaims Laney and Mays takes another sip of her drink while reaching out and taking the paper from Laney. Her nose scrunches cutely as she reads through the list. I feel myself tense again. She doesn't like this one.

"Yeah sorry but this list isn't really going to fly. I hate saying this but they're not gonna like it. They're going to want something more classical like Beethoven or Mozart," she tells us with an apologetic tone to her voice. I inwardly roll my eyes. Of course they would. Laney huffs and voices out my exact thought.

"Of course they would," she mumbles and I jab her hard to her side with my elbow to get her to shut up. She yelps and quickly looks at Mays with wide eyes.

"It's alright. Don't apologize," Mays says even though Laney didn't say anything. It's awkwardly quiet as Mays starts drinking from her mocha and I watch her. She's too quiet right now and she immediately hid herself. Is she hiding something? I shake my head and decide to break the silence and get the heck out of this place or else I'll go crazy with my unanswered questions. 

"Well, good to know," I simply say as I stand up and walk out of the booth we were in.

"You don't have any more questions?" Mays asks and I simply stare down at her, wondering about her. She's hiding something, that much I know. But I can't tell because it appears she's hiding behind a mask. One that I know too well. A mask that prevents others from seeing the turmoil within. But she's too hidden that I begin to doubt myself.

"We got all we need to know. See you at our next meet," I curtly reply before I begin to walk out.

I'm honestly in a sour mood because I feel like I'm only going around in circles and I've been lacking sleep. I've tried to come up with songs that would please both crowds- the rich jerks and those like me. I succeeded with the teens but failed with the adults so now I had to spend more restless nights finding songs similar to the songs by Beethoven and Mozart. Talk about annoying.

As I wait in the car for Laney, I can't help but wonder how Mays really feels. It bothers me that I worry too much about her but it bothers me when I see her forcing herself to be this happy-go-lucky girl. She clearly struggles in life somehow because when Mr. Reys attacked her, she was still strong and didn't break down. A normal girl in her situation would have broken down and threatened the school for its terrible services. No actually, a normal girl in her situation wouldn't be at our school in the first place.