6. today's gonna be too near

I slightly chased the lad who must have been Liam's brother, and tapped his shoulder. He turned around sharply, with a pint in his hand.

"'Scuse me mate," I started, with Finn lingering closely behind, "have you seen Liam?"

"Yeah, he's in the back," he said casually. And he sounded content, but the frownline between his eyebrows told another story. "D'ya want me to get him out for ya, I'm going there now?"

"Nah, it's alright," I said, "could you just let him know we're here and we'll catch him afterwards."

"Yeah, what's your name like?"

"Holly and Finn."

"Sound," he said, eyeing Finn and taking a drink out of the pint in his hand.

"Cheers."

I turned around to Finn, and he let out a deep sigh. I gave him a curious look, and he told me a story of how Liam's brother slept with a girl he was seeing before. I patted him on the back and reassured him that I wouldn't snake on him.

"D'ya want me to buy you a drink?" He asked me, placing his hand on my back and leaning into my ear slightly.

"Yeah, I'll have gin and tonic?" I told him with a smile, placing my hand on the front of his shoulder, as we walked over to the bar and he pulled me into a sort of side hug.

"The fresh air sobered you up like?" He laughed, as I was already pretty pissed back in The Beacon.

"Fiiinnnn," I groaned against him, and he put his hands up in defence and ordered two double G&T's. "Eyar, will you behave ordering me doubles, I'm gonna be so pissed."

"Don't be a fanny, love," he spoke into my hair as he dug his wallet out of his pocket with his spare hand and passed the bartender his money, and I chuckled at him.

I heard feedback from the monitors on stage as one of the band plugged into their amp. At first, me and Finn shared an excited look, thinking that 'Oasis' had started their set, but they were just setting up.

Liam briefly came on stage to adjust the height of the mic stand, and seen me and Finn at the back of the pub and gave us a smile and a nod.

"He seems sound, Liam does," Finn reasoned to me, as we stood side by side, considering his bad experience with his brother, "better than his brother anyway."

"He's not," I told him with a laugh, "I mean, he is sound, but I know he's slept with people's girlfriends before."

"Fuck's sake," he groaned, and I looked at him, "I want to like him, but I don't want to be dead para when you're with him."

"Eyar Finn," I told him, putting my hand on his shoulder, "You're the only lad I've not pied off for about four month, I'm not gonna go off with Liam."

After about 15 minutes, Liam and his band walked back on stage with a swagger reminiscent of Ian Brown. Liam had a tambourine in his hand, and his brother at the table behind me and Finn. I would occasionally sneak glances of him, to observe whether he like them or not. I knew that Oasis had only been together about two months, and Martha had been on tour with Noel and Inspiral Carpets for about six months, so I inferred that he had never actually watched them play before.

It seemed like he was examining the band, especially Liam more than he was watching them. He looked at the stage, beady eyes focused on Liam, with a placid expression - he didn't look disappointed but nor did he look overly happy.

A couple of people who I went to college with and that were already pissed came up to me and Finn and dragged us out of our seats to start bopping around with them.