29. no distance left to run

Holly

When I did eventually get home from The Beacon, having had more to drink that what I bargained for and thus it taking me longer than what it usually would to walk home, I thought about what Bella said about seeing Graham in the northern quarter. I hadn't seen him since me and Arch went down to London, and I hadn't seen him for a good few month before then. It was nice, just to have him as a friend considering we'd shagged, it was refreshing to have had that and then have no complications come from it.

"Pack the fags in," my mum said as I walked through the living room from the kitchen. She hadn't stopped going on about me knocking it on the head since she saw the Levi's ad, but she can't say too much as I'm still the less problematic child out of me and Zara, and at the minute we were both trying to keep her from spiralling again.

I fake laughed at my mum, and ran upstairs to my bedroom, where I picked up the phone from the hook and peeled the post it note off my mirror with Graham's mobile number on it. Shuffling back against the headboard of the bed, I kicked off my converse and starting dialling the number.

"Hello honey," he laughed as he answered the phone, also sounding slightly drunk.

"Are you in Manchester?" I asked him, forgetting to return his greetings.

"Yeah, I think I'm near your end actually... Damon! where are we?" I heard him shout, he must be doing a gig up here, but I haven't heard anything about it. "We're at the Groucho Underground, just come off from playing."

"It's shit there," I retorted, but there was a cheeky smile playing on my face as I was only trying to wind him up.

"I know," he chuckled down the phone. It sounded like he was outside, since I could hear the chatter of people louder than the thumping bass. "Look, Holl, what are you doing now?"

"I've just got in, I've been to the pub all day," I told him. "A girl I know said she saw you so I thought I'd check."

"You fancy coming to another pub? I'm not really feeling it in there," he said, and I could hear in his voice that his face was mirroring mine.

"Not really, Graham," I groaned, not wanting to leave the house again after having to pure trek home. "You can come here if you want, just get a taxi and I'll let you in."

"Yeah alright, I'll see you in a bit."

I felt nervous, I don't know why. It was more like a pit in my stomach than excitement to see a friend I haven't seen, but I was still excited to see him. One thing though, he must not meet my mum so that I can avoid her thinking that I've got a new boyfriend, so I went downstairs and sat with her to watch whatever shite she was watching on the telly.

"Are you gonna put the heating on yet mum?" I asked her with a chuckle, it being freezing in the house already, considering it still only being September.

"I'm trying to wait till November," she replied from behind her cup of tea, blowing on it to cool it down. "Have you been working today?"

"Nah, had the day off so we all went down The Beacon."

"It's nice you've got mates again," she said, and I knew what she meant but laughed at the way she chose to phrase it.

"I've always had mates!" I defended myself with a cackle.

"Shut up," she chuckled, realising she'd accidentally insulted me.

"How was work?" I asked her.

"There was a lovely lad in Holl, I swear to God, you'd've loved him, I should've asked for his number for you," she started, and I sighed. She was always trying to set me up with the randomers she meets in the bank. "I served him and I was dead shocked, he was from somewhere down south, bit older than you but he had a very boyish face."