4. mis-shapes mistakes misfits

Liam stood against the worktop in his kitchen, relieved that his maIt m had gone to work by the time we got back from the pub as he dodged a right bollocking, and cleaned his face of the blood that was still running down his chin.

"Eyar, you need to dab at it," I told him, but he took no notice and continued to wipe roughly at the wound on his engorged lower lip. And so I curled my fingers and tapped on my lip to demonstrate what he should have been doing, but I still went ignored.

"Get off me case woman, I'll be fine," he said stubbornly.

"I'm just saying it'll stop bleeding quicker if you dab at it instead of fuckin sanding your lip down with a tea towel."

He lowered the tea towel from his face completely and give me a bored look before handing me the blood stained cloth.

"Will your Mam be bothered about the blood on this? You might want to put it on a hot wash before she gets back," I said, taking it from his elongated arm and dabbed his mouth with it.

"Probably, yeah. Do you know how to do it?" He asked.

"Nope."

"We could burn it? Or just chuck it out?"

"Will she notice it's missing?"

"She has millions, it's fine."

I stepped away from him and handed him the bloody rag as the bleeding subsided. He took it from my hands and scurried out of the back door before flinging it over the fence that backed onto him garden.

"So what did you do to get in trouble with Ian and his boys?" I asked with a laugh, as he came back into the kitchen.

"I slept with his girlfriend," he laughed.

"Oh right," I said. My laughter continued as it only reinforced what Martha told me about him, "when was that then?"

"Like last month - but nor right, I only did it cos she's fit and he robbed me of £20," he justified himself, growing increasingly defensive.

"Oh well that's alright then," I mused.

"Come on, we'll go upsta-" he started, getting sick of my teasing but he was interrupted by the ringing of the phone, "I'll just get the phone, you go on up."

I nodded as he went over to the stand which the phone was on, and made my way up the stairs. I stalked along the landing to his room which Liam had taken me to prior to the pub. Sitting down on the bed, I fiddled with my Walkman, taking out my Bowie cassette and putting back in its case and rolling up my headphone wires until Liam came back upstairs huffing in a strop.

"You alright mate?" I asked him as he leaned down in front of the bed to pull out a ceramic ashtray from underneath.

"Yeah, sound," he said, brushing me off as he sat down next to me and crossing his legs, "d'ya want me lighter again?"

I wasn't really in the mood for a smoke.

"Yeah cheers," I said and reached into the masses of shite at the bottom of my bag and got out my tabs.

"Anyway right, giz one of them and I'll give you two of mine," he negotiated with me, referring to my Marlboro ciggies. "I haven't smoked them in bare fuckin time."