31. half the world away

I walked upstairs to Liam's room and heard him singing along to Across the Universe by The Beatles. He was so good, like I've heard him at gigs and practice and that, but there was something pure and raw and slightly innocent about hearing him in this context - I couldn't help but grin proudly. I love Liam to bits, and it's the little moments like this that make me realise how grateful I am to have him as my best friend. I hadn't yet told him about how I saw Graham the other day, unsure of how he'd take it. I know he's really lonely at the minute and I don't want to see him start spiralling at the thought of his best friend seeing someone, even though I wasn't really seeing Graham. I still don't know what it was.

I knocked on Liam's door and walked in, seeing him lying down on his bed, one bent leg upon the blue striped sheets and the other hanging down by the side. He stopped singing when I walked in and greeted me with a short "alright" without moving.

I sat down on the end of his bed, almost on top of his foot.

"What you doin?" I asked perkily. I had been in a really good mood lately, but I suppose it's all been coming up Clarke at the minute, not so much Gallagher.

"Moping," He replied, pushing his pink-tinted circular sunglasses up his nose.

"Why?" I said, shuffling up the bed and lying down next to him, in between him and the wall.

"I miss having a girlfriend," he said. "I feel like I have nothing to do."

"Do you miss Erin?"

"Nah, just having a girlfriend," he said and I tutted.

"I know what you mean. Finn put me off having a boyfriend for ages but then sometimes I feel really lonely when I see couples," I agreed with him. "I haven't wanted anyone for ages though, I feel like I have everything I need with you as my bestie."

He was silent for a while, clearly lost in thought, while I nudged his side, as I looked up at him with a stupid toothy grin, trying get a laugh out of him. Eventually he nudged me back, but more to get me stop, as he sighed, so my smile dropped and I turned my gaze to the ceiling as I waited patiently for him to be able to get his words out.

"You're gonna end up moving to London," he stated plainly, sitting up and I followed suit, leaning my elbows on my now crossed legs.

"No I'm not," I said, but my mind drifted over to the other night with Graham. I hadn't had such a connection with anyone in a long time, not even with Finn. I knew I couldn't tell Liam, not right now anyway. He'd melt down.

"Look at how fucking good you're doing," he said. "And don't get me wrong, I'm so fucking happy for you but when you're fucking off to here there and everywhere... no one stays in their hometown after they 'make it'."

"I'm not moving," I told him again. "The only way I'd move out of Manchester is if you, my best mate, were coming with me. I've told you this before."

"I'm not gonna get that opportunity Holl!" He said, getting agitated and standing up. "I'm gonna be stuck here on the dole for the rest of my fucking life and if you stay here cos of me I'll just be holdin' you back and don't fucking try denying it."

"I'll take you with me then!" I said, "why would I even want to go to London? I don't know anyone there."

"That Graham?" He challenged me.