9. I'd Rather Make Out With a Dog

Start from the beginning

I don’t think Bren even realizes what she does to me. It’s not like she’s changed the way she behaves around me. She’s just…Bren.  Once this whole grounding issue is over, I'm definitely going to have to do something about her. I don’t know how much longer I can be just her friend now that I know she feels the same way. 

"Greyson, wake up," I heard someone hiss as I felt a sharp pain in my left arm. My eyes flashed open and I saw a familiar pair of green eyes that I was not in the mood to deal with at the moment.

"I was awake, dude,” I grumbled as I lifted my head off the desk. “I was just thinking about something.”

“Yeah, okay.” Nate rolled his eyes. He knew how easily I fell asleep. With a nudge of his elbow he added, “So who were you thinking about?”

“I wasn’t thinking about anyone. Why don’t you go daydream about Lilah since you don’t have the balls to just ask her out.”

“Dude, harsh much? It’s not like you’ve done anything about Brennan,” he countered. Then his eyes lit up like he had just finally realized that two and two is four. “That’s who you were thinking about, isn’t it?”

“I already told you Nate, I was NOT thinking about anyone! As a matter of fact—”

Nate cut me off with a grin. “If it wasn’t Bren, it must have been Delaney. Although, I think Bren is much hotter, but to—”

“Why would I be thinking about Delaney?” I cut him off sharply once I realized what he said. That girl had been obsessed with me for years, it was just plain creepy. Why in the world would I be thinking about her?

“Dude, you guys were all over each other at Cole’s party. I guess I just assumed there was a little something something going on there,” he told me with wink.

“This better just be your sick idea of a joke, Nate,” I said in a low tone. My mind was whirring, trying to figure out if what he said could possibly be true. I don’t think I could ever be that drunk.

“You seriously don’t remember?”

“No, I don’t. What did we do exactly?” I asked, trying to remain calm. If it were any other girl, I wouldn’t care, but this one had definite stalker potential. Scratch that; she was a stalker.

“Well, you guys didn’t go off into a room, so I think you’re good,” he assured me. I just groaned.

I looked around the room and realized it had filled up considerably since I had arrived. I guess I was too caught up in my own little world to notice the buzzing of voices that now filled the room. Nate and I sat there in silence while we waited for the bell to ring and class to start. I was dreading the rest of the day. I prayed that Delaney wouldn’t remember what happened either, but I had a feeling I wasn’t going to be that lucky.

“Dude,” Nate snickered, as if he had just thought of the funniest thing in the world, “I so want to be there when Delaney sees you today! She probably thinks you’re dating now or...or….”

Nate couldn’t finish the rest of his thought due to his uncontrollable laughter at my expense. The bell rang and he was still carrying on, so I reached over and smacked him in the back of the head. He sobered his face and tried to hold it in, but as soon as he looked at me, his laughter blew out again like a Mento out of a bottle of Diet Coke. I gave up trying to shut him up at this point; it was obviously a futile attempt.

I leaned back in my chair and dragged my eyes around the room again. Mr. Johnson was busy tapping away at his computer still. There were students scattered in groups all around, too busy in their own discussions to notice my idiotic friend’s behavior. However, there was one lone girl in the corner of the room who was staring at Nate intently. She had curly, auburn hair and confusion was obvious in her warm brown eyes. I don’t remember seeing her around before, and this was definitely not a good first impression. Before I could tell Nate to shut up again and save some of his pride, Mr. Johnson stood up to address the class. Everyone scrambled back to their seats and Nate even stopped laughing. Finally!