3. My Best Friend is Checking Me Out

Chapter 3: My Best Friend is Checking Me Out

Greyson’s Point of View

Brennan looked at Sterling and I curiously when she walked through my bedroom door. I guess it did seem kind of strange; usually if Sterling and I were hanging out we went into his room or down in the basement. She smiled after a minute though and sat down next to me on the bed.

“How was your friend’s house?” I asked lightly, never removing my eyes from the game. I wasn’t about to mess up my winning streak just because she was home. 

“It was alright,” she shrugged as she watched us finish the game.

***

“That’s right I won again!” I gloated to Sterling’s sulking face.

“You’re so modest, Greyson,” Sterling said as he shook his head and began to walk to the door. He hated losing with a passion. “I’m going to head off to my room now. Good night, Grey; good night, Bren.”

"Night,” we both called after his retreating form. That was odd; he left without any of his usual cocky comments.

“Do you want to watch a movie?” I suggested as I turned to face Brennan.

“Sure,” she replied. “I’m just going to get changed and stuff while you set it up.”

She grabbed some pajamas and I couldn’t help but watch her as she walked out the door. I pulled off my shirt and changed into my blue plaid pajama pants. I searched through my movies until I found just the one I was looking for. I placed it into the DVD player and got comfortable in my bed as I waited for her return.

It didn’t take her long to come back, which is one of the things I like about Brennan; she doesn’t take forever getting ready. She still puts effort into how she looks, she just don’t take a thousand years to do it. Bren curled up on the bed beside me as I started the movie. She rested her head comfortably in the crook of my arm. She felt perfect laying there next to me and I wished she wanted the same things I did.

We watched the movie in a peaceful silence for a while. It was a romantic comedy which Brennan loved even though she could predict everything that was going to happen ten minutes into the movie.  After a bit, Brennan murmured my name.

“Yeah?” I answered back quietly as I placed my eyes on her.

“You look amazing with your shirt off,” she replied as her fingers traced lightly over my abs.

“I’m sure you would too,” I managed to respond playfully.

She propped herself up on her elbows and chuckled. “I guess I should have expected a response like that.”

“You do realize that I sleep like this every night right?” I asked her curiously, wondering where this conversation was going.

“Yeah, I noticed a long time ago. I just didn’t know if I should say anything,” Bren answered with an odd look in her eyes.

“Why not? You know you can tell me anything,” I told her softly as I brushed a stray strand of hair out of her face.

“It’s not something you’re supposed to notice on your best friend,” she replied sadly as she sat upright on the bed. I mimicked her and sat up as well.

“What does that mean Bren?” I questioned her seriously. I wanted to know if she meant what I thought she did.

She remained quiet for a few moments and finally said in a whisper, “Have you ever thought of us as anything more than friends?”