Chapter 16: Ashes 2 Ashes

Beyoncé walked the halls of Parkwood Elementary school. She already knew where her daughters class was. She was told what time to come in by her teacher.

Alexis laid on the desk as the teacher taught. They were in the social studies portion of the day but Alexis was tired. It was pizza day so she actually ate her whole lunch. She caught the itis but she wasn't the only one. Brandy was close to drooling with her eyes closed taking a full nap.

Alexis heard the classroom door open and close so she looked over. She popped her head up so fast and just looked in her book never wanting to look up to catch her mother's gaze. She could see her mother walking towards the back of the class after shaking her teachers hand.

Alexis shook Brandy.

"What?" She groaned lowly.

"Get up." Alexis said in a hushed tone only looking at the front of the class and back to her book.

Brandy stretched and looked around and did a double take. Beyoncé waved and then mouthed for her to turn around.

Brandy turned around shocked. She didn't want to talk or whisper like she normally would so she wrote on a piece of paper.

"How long auntie been sitting back there!" She wrote.

"Not long. I hope she didn't see me laying down." Alexis wrote back.

"Laying down! I was sleep! She gonna tell my mama!" Brandy wrote and shook her head while looking towards the blackboard.

Beyoncé laughed on the inside. She knew exactly what she was doing. She came in at the end of day to catch them slipping. She saw her daughter laying down and Brandy taking a whole nap.

After class was over all the kids got their stuff ready to go. Alexis and Brandy walked slowly over to Beyoncé.

"We in trouble?" Brandy asked lowly.

"Why you think you in trouble?" Beyoncé asked.

She shrugged.

"If you think you in trouble you had to do something so what was it?"

Alexis sighed.

"I was laying down not paying attention." Alexis said.

"I was asleep." Brandy said.

"Seems like y'all not getting the proper rest at home. So Alexis, your bed time should be eight-thirty now?"

"No."

"Listen auntie, it was pizza day. We caught the itis. It don't usually happen often but when it does it's hard to stay awake. It's warm outside, the birds are chirping. You gonna tell my mama?" Brandy asked.

Beyoncé laughed and stood up. She shook her head at Brandy.

"The itis, okay. What about you?" Beyoncé asked Alexis.

"I was full but it won't happen again." Alexis said.

"It better not." She said.

They walked out unto the hallway and outside to the car.

"Well, I guess since you've caught the itis you're not hungry for Chick-Fil-A." Beyoncé said starting up the car.

"Auntie." Brandy said popping her head from the backseat. "That was over an hour ago. I can make room."

"Brandy, sit back." Beyoncé said.

"Yes ma'am."

Beyoncé rolled her eyes and laughed as she headed to the high school to pick up Mya and Kaidence.