Divorced ch.49

When Aaron did not show up before dinner like he promised, I was worried. However when I heard the name of the man he practically saw me naked and vulnerable, I was scared. Kendall... I immediately thought of Shelly's ex, but there are many Kendall's out in the world, however it still made me nauseous.

I tried to push my theory down, to focus on the bigger things such as Kaxity health, Mike's change in behavior and Aaron's well being. It's like everything is doing a 180 right in front of me, I couldn't catch up- but I kept my chin up and thought of the positive. That was until I was stuck in a restaurant with my mother for brunch.

It was just supposed to be Danielle and I, but our mother decided to tag along and Danielle did not feel well so it was just us. I sat on the other side of the table, keeping my mouth shut, sipping on my cranberry juice and munching on my meal. Both did not speak to each other, we just sat there like strangers who did not bother to speak to each other.

I did not want to speak... I didn't even want to see her. However when I saw her brown skin, evil smirk, church clothes and her dull eyes; I wanted to rip her head open while cursing her to hell. You can say I have hatred inside me, however I did not care- even though it was against my religion to disrespect my mother and hold hatred for her. During the years of my life, I fought my feelings, but I'm no longer going to fight it; I'm going to embrace it.

As I set my fork down, my phone buzzed in my lap- making me turn my attention from my good meal that was luckily not ruined by my sour mood. A message from Aaron saying he loved me made me smile. I was not exactly mad at him, we don't have room to be mad at each other; I'm just not pleased with him at the moment.

Ruth cleared her throat for my attention, "Can you at least put your phone away? We are at the table, eating."

"Yes well, I am not entertained. I need entertainment." I said blankly, matching her tone full of attitude and rudeness. I texted back with a kiss and smile, before placing my phone away and going back to my food.

"You still with that... criminal?" Ruth said in disgust as if was digging wax out my ear.

My eyebrow raised in question, "Why does it matter if I am? We hardly see each other and we do not speak."

"So you are still seeing him?" She scoffed while shaking her head in disappointment, like she always those- but this time I didn't care. "Sometimes I think why you didn't just stay with Justin, he was a good man for you and brought honor to the family."

"Excuse me?" I chuckled as if she was saying a joke in which it is- a joke. "Justin is a dirty hog who cheated on me with his secretary and probably other woman at that. I won't stay with a man that broke and will keep breaking my heart- I'm not like you." I stated while keeping my nonchalant tone.

Ruth lips tugged into a deep frown, "You threw your chances away for having a good life, a chance to go to a island every week and to kick your feet up. Instead of living in Brooklyn in a middle class townhouse raising children that not even yours and running after a man that has a record thicker than the Bible. You could of reached for better, not lower."

I sighed deeply before getting up to leave, I placed a twenty down for my meal, put the strap of my purse over my shoulders and covered my eyes with my sunglasses. "I may not be in a mansion, drinking my mornings away and drooling over my pool boy; but this life I'm in now is better than the sick and horrible fantasy you want me to be in." With that I left, I did not want to give her fight- I have bigger matters that needed my energy.

I made my way to Shelly's house since I was a train ride away, I needed to ask- the theory was nibbling on my brain. I held onto my long sundress that would of tripped me up while I walk up her porch. My knuckles connected to the strong oak door twice before I stepped back and waited. A few minutes passed and no one has not answered, not even a sign that someone was there. I knocked once again and waited, as time went on, I started to worry.