Chapter 30: Enthralling Beauty

Start from the beginning

He took slow strides to the same window that he used to enter this room last night. Since I was still unmoving from the bed, he had to move closer to me to get to the window. While he was inching closer, I was dwelling on whether or not should I say those two or three words to him. I was nearly devoured by the thought of ignoring it and also him, but I shoved them aside. I knew it's better to just say it to him.

It was when Sasuke's right leg rose to the window sill that I quickly called him, "Sasuke."

I delayed for a brief moment, giving him the chance to shift his attention to me. His head spun slightly to get a clearer look at me and his onyx eyes finally dropped to me. He remained in silence. His face was void of any emotion.

These words that I wanted to tell him would be something awkward for someone to say to a rival. And I knew a way for me to express it with lesser embarrassment – all I had to do was to avert my gaze from him, look anywhere else but him, and then say it. Sounds simple, right? And I did just like that.

After taking my eyes off of him, I went on with my face flushed, "Thank you."

I wanted to add more like "...for keeping me company here for the entire night" but I didn't utter them because I knew, in an instant, that he was quick to catch on with the message. And just as I expected, silence ensued for like a few seconds before I heard him produced a "hn" noise. I could easily tell – just by hearing that – that he wore a smirk on his face.

With a quick swoosh sound, he vanished right then and there (obviously exited the room through the window in quick speed), leaving me feeling so empty and much lonelier.

Snap out of it, Ayuda! You told yourself that you are moving on from him! So... why do you still have this... longing feeling inside of you...?

***

Sasuke's P.O.V

I leapt from rooftop to rooftop noiselessly as the morning sun kissed my skin with its light. I had to head back to my apartment to change my clothes. If I didn't, it would be undoubtedly uncomfortable to practice my Chidori. Plus, I need a bath, too.

Just like yesterday, I couldn't help but to recall back to what had happened last night. No, it's not that time when I conversed with Ayuda about Gaara 'dropping by'. It's the event that occurred after she fell into a deep slumber. Yes, something did happen. The one moment that only I know of what went down last night.

***

[Last night...]

It had been around fifteen minutes or so after I gave simple instructions to the dark-haired girl who claimed she couldn't sleep earlier. But now, her eyes were shut closed in a relaxed manner and her chest drew up and down at a snail's pace. It seemed that my method has worked on her. Though I was a bit astounded to know that my rival was trying my procedure. But I couldn't blame her. I know what it feels like to be unable to sleep.

There would be some nights where I recollected back on that night – when my clan was wiped out of the surface of the Earth in one night by a single person – Itachi. He left after sparing me. But why, Itachi...? Why can't you just kill me that night...? Well then, that's your mistake. I will kill you. I will find you and get my revenge. I can't wait to feel your blood on my hands – the blood of the one person who had murdered my family, clanmates, and all those innocent people.

I was brought back to the reality that instant when I felt a small wave of pain flowing throughout my body, starting from my hands which had already curled into fists with bulging veins. My nails dug angrily into my skin. I immediately straightened out my fingers – laying out my palms open to the cool night air – to avoid soiling Ayuda's futon with my blood.