Chapter 8: Into the Bunker (Part 3)

The plan was set, all we needed to do was put it in motion. Mabel and I were making our way back to the main room of the underground bunker. We could hear the shape shifter from here, we were close.

"Dipper, my boy! Come out! I must speak with you! REVEAL YOURSELF, YOU SINGLE-FORMED HUMAN WEAKLING!"

Just before we entered the main room, I turned to Mabel.

"You ready?" I asked.

"Only if you are bro-bro." She smiled wide, revealing her braces.

I pulled the journal out of my vest so the shape shifter would be able to see it. I nodded and we walked into the room together.

"Oh boy, Dipper. That book sure is full of some great monsters!" Mabel announced in a loud, monotone voice.

"There you are!" the shape shifter declared. His current form was a large creature with six legs, claws and a one-eyed head resembling a hand. "Oh, and a new one." he shape-shifted into Mabel. "Should I be one..." he turned into me. "...or the other? How about both!?"

He morphed into a horrifying creature with six legs that was a combination of both me and my sister. A version of myself was on the top half, and the bottom half resembled Mabel. Both halves had glowing white eyes and gaping mouths filled with sharp teeth. The shape shifter screeched, then came barreling towards us.

A scream escaped us before we turned and ran back into the tunnels. I could feel my heart beating in my chest. After making a turn into the next tunnel corridor, I could see Y/n and Soos standing at a large, vertical water valve, just like we had planned. Y/n had noticed it earlier when the shape shifter was leading us through the tunnels, pretending to be the author.

"Guys, he's coming! He's coming! NOW, NOW, NOW, NOW!!" I commanded.

Y/n and Soos both began turning the valve.

"It's not working, dude!" Soos yelled.

The shape shifter had caught up to us. He stood before us, eyeing me, or more specifically, my journal. The top half of the shape shifter, the one that resembled me shot it's tongue out at me and wrapped it around my journal.

"HEY, LET GO!" I demanded, using all my strength to keep my journal.

Y/n saw me struggling and left her position at the water valve, Soos was still trying to get it to work. Without hesitation, she picked up a rusted pipe from the ground that had ends so jagged, they could cut through flesh.

She grabbed onto the journal, helping me keep hold of it. "Leave him alone!"

I felt my grip slipping on the journal. My fingertips slid over the leather cover and I fell back on the ground.

The shape shifter retracted it's tongue, taking Y/n and the journal with it.

"Y/n!" I yelled, my voice struck with emotion.

Y/n landed on one of the shape shifter's legs. She raised the rusted pipe she had picked up to fight, despite the shape shifter being 3 times her size. Just before Y/n could use the pipe, a serge of rushing water released from the water valve. It hit the shape shifter and Y/n too, the strength of the water pushing them down the tunnel, washing them away. My breathing became unsteady as panic and fear grew inside me.

Then, I realized the water was rising at my feet. Me, Mabel and Soos started running but in seconds, the water had encased us. I held my breath as I was dragged into the whirl wind of currents. I was spinning around in the current until it finally started dying out as the water spread in other directions.