CHAPTER 10 - An Unexpected Friend

Summer 2013.

Since the New Year, Carlie has been casually dating and having fun as we speak, trying not to think about what had happened two years before. It's been tough, but she's moved on.

And today marks the first day of Carlie's summer break. She decided to stay in the city for the summer and not join her family in the Hamptons because she wanted to be alone for a while.

Carlie woke up and decided to go get some food to eat. She took a shower, brushed her teeth, blow dried her hair and put on some clothes before grabbing her bag and her keys and went out for a little walk.

She decided to go to Café Theo for brunch. While going there, she was reading a book in her hand when suddenly she bumps into a person.

"I'm sorry." She said and gets her book and other stuff. "No my bad." He said and got his book as well. When they both looked up they were surprised, "Oh Carlie!" The man said. "Kevin?" She asked unsure. "Hi." He said. "Fancy seeing you here." She replied awkwardly and he awkwardly scratches the back of his head.

"What're you doing in the city in the summer?" She asked. "I should ask you the same thing. Aren't you supposed to be at the Hamptons or yachting around the French Riviera?" He asked. She laughs, "Not this summer." She replied. Then they have a moment and smiled at each other. "Hey, do you wanna grab coffee together or something?" He asked.

Carlie looked around and hesitated but something in her mind told her, "Well what's a cup of coffee with someone like Kevin? It's not like it's a date

Carlie looked around and hesitated but something in her mind told her, "Well what's a cup of coffee with someone like Kevin? It's not like it's a date. Go! Because you need to eat and drink coffee."

So she smiled, "Sure." She said and he opens the door for her. She's surprised at the gesture and continues to walk in. They sit in a booth in the first floor near the window. A waiter approaches them and takes their order; a cup of coffee and Eggs Benedict for Carlie and an iced latte and steak and eggs for Kevin.

"So, what's Kevin Keating doing in the city? Shouldn't you be vacationing with your family or something?" Carlie asked. Kevin smiled, "First of all, it's Kevin Keaton. Second of all, I decided to take a summer class actually." He said. Carlie has a surprised expression, "Who takes a class in the summer?!" She replied. He laughs, "It's not a big deal really, it's just a three week program." He said. "What class is this?" She asked. "Believe it or not, but I'm actually taking calligraphy classes." He replied.

Carlie's eyes widen and she tries to hold in her laugh, "What's so funny, huh?" Kevin asked. "Nothing, it's just unusual." Carlie replied. "How can it be unusual?" He asked. "I don't know. Maybe because I don't know a single person who wants to spend their summer learning about calligraphy." She replied. "Well, now you know one." He said, meaning him.

"Why are you taking a class in calligraphy, by the way?" She asked. He took a couple of seconds to think and looked at her in the eye, "I want to learn how to beautifully write a letter, a sentence or something, like what they did back in the day." He answered. "But why though? Who and what are you doing it for?" She asked. Kevin chuckles, "Myself, mostly. But I would love to write a letter in calligraphy to someone special." He said.