"You look exceptionally beautiful tonight, Dei," He said, his eyes boring into hers.

"Thank you, Richard. You don't look too shabby yourself."

She liked how she fit exactly into his arms, liked the feel of his warm hands on her waist, especially when he pulled her closer to lean his chin on her shoulder. He whispered to her just then.

"Dei.....do you think we can go somewhere after tonight? Just you and me?"

"Where would we go?"

"Anywhere you like, where it's more quiet. Unless you want to go home after, you might be tired."

She was tired. They ended up going to her place, which would have been just a matter of him taking her home. But she invited him up, and she served him Tiramisu and coffee. They talked till midnight and when it was time for him to go home, he was reluctant to leave.

"Dei....I was wondering if I could invite you to dinner on Friday night."

He held her hand in both of his, moving his thumb over the back of her hand. She tried to be cool about it, although deep inside she wanted to jump for joy.

"Sure. But I'd like to freshen up here first. Just tell me where and I'll meet you."

"No Dei, this is not a meeting. I'll pick you up and bring you back here. Okay?"

He leaned over to kiss her again, this time his lips landed near her ear, pressed firmly for a few seconds, his hand cupping her waist. His dimple deepened as he smiled before turning away. When he was gone, she felt something in her pocket and remembered the card with the flowers. She opened the card and read the message that completed her evening.

"It's a joy working with you. Hope you'll allow me to get to know you better."

-----

He was always passionate and creative with his work, and he always enjoyed good working relationships with his clients. When he got the invitation to pitch for Frais mouthwash, he wasn't ready to meet someone like Andrea, or Dei, as she was fondly called by her team. He was not one to fall for a mere pretty face but Dei was more than that, she made people gravitate towards her.

During his pitch for the account, he had to pull all stops to concentrate on winning. It was unnerving to have someone like Dei watch him closely, listening intently to him. He was distracted by her, but he thankfully finished the pitch with his team and seemed to have made a good impression. On the day she sent for him and his team to inform them that they won the account, he wanted to take her out to dinner to thank her. But who was he kidding? He wanted to take her out because he was drawn to her. It had nothing to do with work.

Tonight, she finally allowed him into her personal life and agreed to have dinner. In her red dress, Dei looked magnificent. This lady moved him in ways he could not understand. It was more than physical attraction. He did not believe in soulmates or destiny, but meeting her made him wish those were true.

He took her to Sunset Bar in Sofitel, where they enjoyed a serene view of the sunset in Manila Bay. The sunset provided a good backdrop and ambiance for them to get to know each other better. It was a dreamy moment that Dei appreciated so much.

"What do you do during weekends, Dei?"

"I catch up on sleep mostly, and domestic chores. I live alone, and while it's very liberating, it can get lonely sometimes."

"What about family time?"

'Both my parents are gone. I lost my dad to lung cancer recently. My sister is working in the US as a nurse. So it's just me here, really."

"No boyfriend?"

"No such luck." She laughed, embarrassed. "I think I'm kind of a hard pill to swallow."

"What? I can't believe that."

He swallowed, trying to catch his bearings before asking the question he wanted to ask all evening. "Dei.....I'd like to try making your weekends less lonely. Will you allow me to try?"

"Don't you have a girlfriend?"

"Nope."

"Now that's hard to believe."

"But it's true."

"When was your last relationship?"

"Eight months ago."

"That's fairly recent. No chance of getting back together?"

"No. I think we're better off as friends."

"Ouch. That must have hurt for her."

"No sympathy for me?"

"Depends on what really happened to you both."

"It's a long and ugly story."

"Oh. So sorry I brought it up."

"Don't be. I'm happier now." He reached for her hand twining his fingers through hers. Her hand was icy cold, and she was biting her lip, looking at their intertwined hands.

"Dei, I really, really like you. I won't give you BS and say I'm in love, but whatever this is, it's making me feel things I haven't felt in a long time."

"I don't know what to say to that, Richard."

"Do you enjoy my company?"

"I've always been a skeptic of love, Richard. I don't think all the pain is ever worth it."

"Did someone hurt you in the past?"

"Yes. And I don't want to go through that kind of pain again."

"I'll help you heal, Dei. We don't need to be in a relationship, we can always be friends. Please?"

She couldn't say no. She actually felt the same as he described. The prospect of spending weekends with him was promising, but it scared her a little. She had a tendency to wrap her universe around whoever she falls for, and it ended up badly for her.

She asked him to come up with her when he took her home. Already she felt the urge to cling, the reluctance to let him go. But he was just as eager to spend a little more time with her. They watched old CSI episodes together like an old couple, with her wrapped in his arms, their feet up, warm mugs of coffee keeping them company. When it was time for him to leave, they hugged naturally, forehead to forehead, before he kissed her cheek and left.

He drove happily that night, his heart full. The sun was beginning to peek through the clouds, rising from the horizon on a brand new day for Richard. He smiled, looking forward to spending Sunday with Dei.

He was still smiling when he arrived at his house. As he entered the bedroom, his covers moved, revealing a scantily clad woman waking up from his arrival.

"What took you so long, hon? I fell asleep waiting for you."