10

Troye's pov

Jacob did eventually leave, worried that he overcame his stay. I tried to tell him that we honestly didn't mind, we could use his company, but he just seemed to be dead set on leaving. So, I let him. He left his number on my painting of pretty blue clouds, saying only to ring if he's needed.

It sure was odd, taking his time to draw hard enough for the lead to show through acrylic paint just for a silly number, but I appreciate it. Once again, the imagination of this bloke. Though he said only to use if needed, I still immediately entered the digits into my mobile phone and saved him as a contact.

When Dad did come home, he was exhausted. You could tell just from his appearance, before he even uttered the words "I'm so tired I could fall asleep right here, right now." His posture is all crouched down, making his uniform crinkle and seem much less professional. Well, it's not like he is required to be professional in his own flat, but still, the look doesn't look great on him.

"Daddy, you okay?" I ask gently as he leans against the door and sighs.

He nods and utters those words just mentioned. The "I'm so tired I could fall asleep right here, right now."

"Sit down, I'll go get your food." I pat the spot next to me on the sofa and hop up, striding to the kitchen and scrapping up his dinner.

Why I'm awake right now, I'm not even sure. It's the second night now that I've stayed awake until dawn. I sure hope this doesn't become a habit, Dad won't be pleased.

As I make it back to the living room I notice Dad inspecting the two plates and a glass I left on the table in front of the couch.

"Jacob left?" Dad asks.

I nod my head yes and hand him his plate.

"Were you two... hanging out?" He asks bizarrely, as if he couldn't believe that I socialized with another human being that isn't himself or my mother.

"Yes, I like the way he thinks." I smile, sitting down next to him and playing with the loose strands of my jumper.

He nods and digs into his meal, I'm sure it's one of the first ones he's had today.

"Why did he leave?" He mumbles as he chews his food.

"He thought he overstayed his visit," I mutter with unamused eyes.

"Nonsense, I'll ring him up. He can't be out in the cold tonight, it's far too chilly." He sets his now empty plate down and fishes out his phone.

I watch as he punches in Jacob's number, curious if Jacob left a note for him too or he simply just told him.

In moments I hear the line pick up, making me shift around on the couch. I hope he's alright.

"Bix, I'm coming to get you. Where have you gone?" Dad asks, standing up and walking to the door, putting his shoes back on.

I hear Jacob's muffled protest, that making Dad scold him.

"I'm coming to get you either way, whether you like it or not. Just tell me so I don't have to waste my time looking in the wrong direction."

Jacob eventually tells him, making it clear as he asks Dad not to let me tag along. Dad assures him he won't, but as he hangs up he makes a hand motion as to follow him.

"C'mon, you need to get into bed soon. Let's make this quick." He instructs.

I perk up, jumping up and grabbing my shoes. The two of us get into his car and sped down in the direction Jacob has gone.

-

"Jacob? Kid, where are you?" Dad calls out as we cautiously walk around the alleyways of town. The bad side of town.

We hear a sniffle and Dad gives me a look, pointing behind a trash bin. He nods and just in case, holds a hand out for me to stay and places a hand on his gun incase of emergency. He turns to the bin and nearly jumps in shock, his eyes widened and figure shook.

"Jacob! What's happened to you?" Dad exclaims in a hushed and worried tone.

He bends down to the ground and pulls the boy up, hooking his arm over dad's shoulder. The light reveals his completely bloody and battered face.

"Jacob?!" I whisper, running up to his side and hooking his other arm around me.

He groans once he's noticed I'm here, which was against his wishes. At least now I know why. He doesn't say a word though, just trudges along as we help him out of the alley and into Dad's car. I sit in the back-seat with him once we manage to get him in, letting his broken looking body lay flat against the seat with his head in my lap.

Dad quickly starts the car and speeds out of there before someone could approach us.

I pull my sleeve past my fingers and use it as a cloth, gently dabbing the blood off of Jacob's face. I try my best to be as careful as possible, Jacob still breathes in sharply as I nudge his nose though.

"I'm sorry," I whisper, slipping my thumb past my sleeve and gently rubbing circles on his cheekbone.

"Nonsense," He whispers back, cracking a smile.

I lean down and gently press my lips to his pretty hair, his pretty ebony coloured hair. It's all tangled and tousled around, but it's still his pretty ebony coloured hair. Leaning back, I look down at him endearingly.

"Are you alright?" I ask, moving my fingers to his hair and gently running fingers through it, careful not to hit the tangles and pull his hair.

He sighs and nods his head up once.

"I'm alright."

"No, you're not, kid. You aren't at all." Dad murmurs, making the skin between Jacob's eyebrows scrunch together.

"Hush, Shaun." He mutters and ends his words with a hoarse cough.

I lean him up and pat his back, watching as he covers his mouth with his hands and sputters up blood.

"Daddy, there's blood." I warn with wide eyes, cradling the boy closer to me.

Jacob falls back down on my lap and wheezes. Dad makes a sharp left turn, travelling to the main road.

"To the hospital we go." Dad sighs, accelerating his speed a tad.

Jacob shakes his head no, "No. No hospital."

Dad looks back at me through the rear view window.

"Yes, Jacob. I'm not letting you suffer, boy." He speaks sternly.

"I can't afford it, I can't barely have enough for a pack of fags." The boy sighs, dropping his hand on his bruised forehead. I watch him wince as he does so, frowning and curling my fingers in his hair.

"I'll put you on my insurance, now hush up already. You're bound to pop a lung or something." Dad huffs, cracking his knuckles against the steering wheel.

"Thank you." Jacob croaks, glancing at me and then fluttering his eyes shut.

What has this boy gotten himself into?