Chapter Eighteen

Stiles POV.

"All right geniuses, listen up." Coach yells, gathering the Lacrosse player around. "Due to the recent pink eye epidemic - thank you Greenburg - the following people have made first line on probationary basis. Emphasis on the word probationary." First line, maybe this is my chance. Maybe I can finally show everyone that I'm better at playing then keeping the bench warm.

"Rodriguez. Welcome to first line. Taylor and uh, oh, for the love of crap. I can't even read my own handwriting." Please Coach, let it be me. I shake my leg in a nervous habit, one I obtained from Claire. Please let me get first line for her. "What is that? Is that an 'S'? No, no, it's a 'B'." My heart plummets to the ground and I sigh in disappointment. "It's definitely a 'B'. Rodriguez, Taylor and Bilinski." I snap my head up and immediately stand up and cheer, while awkwardly flailing my arms. I might finally have a chance with Claire!

"Bilinski!" Coach shouts, stopping my cheering.

"Yes?"

"Shut up!"

"Yes sir." I say, sitting back down.

"Stiles." Scott whispers.

"It's Biles. Call me Biles or I swear to God I'll kill you." There is no way I'm gonna let anybody take my chance of playing first line away from me.

"Another thing." Coach adds. "From here on out we're switching to co-captains. Congratulations McCall." Everyone in the room goes silent and Jackson steps forward towards Coach.

"What?" He asks Coach.

"What do you mean what? Jackson, this takes nothing away from you. This is about combining separate strengths into one unit. This is about taking your unit and McCall's unit and making it one big unit. McCall, it's you and Jackson now. Everybody else - Asses on the field!"

Scott and I get up and head out of the locker room, the smile not leaving my face. "Can you believe this? Your captain and I'm first line. I'm first freakin' line. How are you not freaking out right now?"

"What the point?" Scott asks. "It's just a stupid title. I could practically smell the jealousy in there."

"Wait, you smell jealousy?" I ask. If he can smell jealousy maybe he can smell other emotions.

"Yeah, it's like the full moon has turned everything up to ten." I stop Scott in the middle of the hall.

"Can you pick up on stuff like, I don't know, desire?"

"What do you mean desire?"

"Like sexual desire."

"Sexual desire?"

"Yeah, sexual desire. Lust, passion, arousal."

"From Claire?"

"What, no. In a general, broad sense. Can you determine sexual desire?"

"From Claire to you?" I roll my eyes.

"Fine, yes, from Claire to me. Look, I need to know if I have a chance with this girl or not, okay? I've been obsessing over her since the third freakin' grade."

"Why not just ask her?"

"Well, to save myself from utter crushing humiliation, thank you Scott. So please can you go over and ask if she likes me? See if her heartbeat rises, pheromones come out."

"Fine." Scott says in a monotone voice.

"I love you, I love you. Your my best friend in the whole world." I quickly say as Scott leaves to approach Claire who is by her locker. I might finally know if she's into me. I might finally have a chance.