Chapter Nineteen

Howl's POV

    "How many runes are there?" I ask Artemis.

    Patiently, she responds, "Like I have said before, I  I do not know, Howl."

     "So which one are you going to teach me?"

    "Maybe a silencing one," Artemis is obviously starting to lose her patience with me. I give a wide, reassuring smile and am rewarded with a snort.

    "How about one that cheers up cranky Artemises?"

    "I've got it!"

    "Got what?" She lost me there . . . 

    "There is a rune that can temporarily provide extra energy, but it leaves you extra weak after it wears off."

    "Okay. Will you show it to me?"

     "Markl!" Artemis shouts, and the young boy immediately appears at the bottom of the foyer stairs in front of us.

    "What?!"

    "I just wanted to show you the rune I am teaching Howl. You might have to use it on him someday."

    "Why would Markl-" I start.

    "Do you know how hard you are to wake up?" Artemis dismisses me. "Anyways, I will show you after I carve it into my hand. Where did I set the silver blade?"

    I pull the knife I beleive Artemis is referring to out of the butter from behind me. "This the one?"

    "Yes!" Artemis snaps. "Why were one of you using it for butter?!" Oops. Markl and I just exchange looks from either side of the girl.

    "Anyways," I cut her off after she starts to rant and ramble about infection and ,ultiple purposes and how special it is and other such things. "Are you going to show us the rune, or not?"

    "Fine," Artemis carves with the silver dagger into the palm of her hand. A circle with what looks like a plus sign starts to gush blood from her pale palm. Artemis adds a small whorl above the rune. "And that is the energy rune that lasts-" her eyes role into the back of her head and her lashes flutter before she collapses.

    "Artemis? Artemis?" Markl and I question once I have rushed forwards nd caught the frail looking girl.

    With Artemis not responding, I know of only one person to go to.