Chapter Eighteen

Artemis’s POV:

Solomon sits before me, on her mighty throne, her gray-white hair pulled up in a bun, as per usual. Her hawk eyes stare down at me, beadily, in contempt.

“What progress have you made with Howl?” she asks.

“I have learned several methods and potions recipes. He is working at spells with me,” I try to keep the shakiness out of my voice, but fail direly.

    "And how many runes have you taught to the wizard?" Solomon presses painfully.

    "Um . . . I . . . uh . . ."

    "None I take it. I suppose you doubted that I knew whose daughter you are?"

     "I just found out myself-"

     "Calm down, child. Howl needs to know at least twenty of your runes by the next meeting I have with him. For now, I am sending you with your list of vows."

     "Vows?"

    "You must swear your loyalty to the throne, my dear," Solomon smiles, gleefully and maliciously. "Now, on your way you go!"

--------------------------------------------

    "What did she want?" Howl asks, after nearly finishing what felt like an interrogation about the meeting with Solomon.

    "You are supposed to learn twenty runes by your next meeting with her-"

     "Artemis," Howl smiles encouragingly, his drama filled eyes peircing mine like a knife to a man's heart. "I meant what did she want that is really worrying you."

     "Solomon wants me to make vows to the king. I have to swear my loyalties to the throne."

    "Oh no. Oh, no! It is not about your loyalties. You are merely bait-"

    "Howl, what are you talking about?"