Mistaken Identity - Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Duncan was chopping wood when he sensed rather than heard Addie come out of the cabin. She could have been on the other side of the lake and he knew he would have known exactly where she was at all times. This woman had imprinted herself on his heart and he knew he could never live without her.

“Can we talk?” Addie asked, she had no clue how this conversation was going to go. She was about to put herself out there and he could turn and walk away from her, which after only two days of knowing him would hurt worse than Seth and Sam combined. She didn’t understand that.

Duncan dropped the ax and picked up a bottle of water taking a drink. “Let’s go to the lake,” he said as he started heading that way not waiting to see if she followed.

He sat down in the tall grass bordering the water. She had pushed him away an hour ago and now looking at her face as she sat down in the grass next to him, he noticed the red rimming her eyes. She had been crying... because of him! Because he kissed her... again! Duncan lowered his head in shame.

Addie took a deep breath. She didn’t know where to start, so she thought she should start at the beginning, “I’ve been hurt a lot by men...”

Duncan’s head popped up and looked at her. “I’m sorry, you know I would never...” Addie moved and sat on her knees turning to face him, she reached up and put her finger on his lips, her eyes glistening with unshed tears.

“I know... I know you wouldn’t.” Addie took a deep breath and looked down at her hands that she now wrung in her lap, and she began telling him the story of how she had always felt used and broken after a man left her.

When she finished she looked up to see tears shining in the afternoon sunset in Duncan’s eyes. He reached up and cupped her face. “I’m so sorry that men have hurt you. I’m even more sorry to think that because of something I have said or done that you think I will. I would rather cut off my left arm than cause you one moment of pain. I don’t understand what’s going on between us, but I can tell you I have never felt what I feel with any other person.”

Looking up at him with surprise, Addie said, “So, you feel it too?” When Duncan nodded, she smiled and said, “I was afraid it was just me.”

Addie went to sit back to sit on her heels, still facing Duncan, but he pulled her in to his lap. “We will take this slow, so that when we commit ourselves to each other, there is no doubt about our feelings. Because I do have feelings, but if I am being honest with you and myself, this does scare me. I don’t fall for clients,” when Addie started to say, “But I’m not...” Duncan put his finger over her lips this time. “I know you’re not my client, but I am still protecting you, and ever since that damn movie people think that bodyguards fall in love with their clients. And I had always promised myself I would never mix business and...” he reached up and ran his finger under her lips as he whispered, “pleasure.”

Addie leaned in to him, and whispered, “I do like your idea of pleasure.” she kissed his jaw, then trailed kisses on to his neck and when she finally pressed her lips to his, Duncan had had enough and rolled her over in the grass lying beside her and kissing her long, slow and deep. They surrendered the truth of their feelings to each other. Giving up every emotion, giving into every passion and releasing every fear. Now that they had declared their feelings for each other, Duncan wanted to let her know he was only thinking of her, he was not using her for anything, he wanted to please her and be with her because he was falling in love with her.

But, that could wait for as long as she needed. He was content holding her and being close to her. She was worth the wait. Their future was worth allowing Addie to see he was sincere and would be careful with her heart. Something he wanted to treasure for a very long time.