Mistaken Identity - Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“Beth! Why do ye do this to me? Ye know I am only trying to protect ye? How come urr ye sae reckless when it comes tae yer life? Jackson would murdurr me if something happened to ye! I thought after the last time that maybe ye learned yer lesson.” The angrier Duncan became, the more his well hidden Scottish accent appeared. He hated it, he had worked hard to hide it after being picked on in school when they moved to America. When his emotions were on edge, his Scot tendencies took over. Beth just needed to be glad he was not tempted to pull his dirk on her.  

Addie just looked up and him in shock and wonder. Softly, in almost a whisper, the only word that slipped out of Addie’s lips was, “What?” None of this was making sense to her.

“Beth, we need to get you back to the cabin before something happens.” He removed his hands from her shoulder, where it had been since he stormed into her room. Addie suddenly felt herself shiver from the lack of his body heat next to hers.

Realizing the only thing she could think of was happening, Addie reached up and pinched herself in the arm. When nothing happened, she reached out and pinched him in the arm. He was wearing a white dress shirt, a kilt, stockings and black dress shoes. She figured she had been reading too many Scottish romances recently, and she had fallen asleep during her massage. Trying to wake herself up any way possible, Addie glared at him and pinched him harder.

“Bloody hell, woman! What are ye doin’?”

“Trying to wake up.” Her words brought confusion to his face. His eyes drew her in like a crystal clear lake drawing a bird to a refuge in a storm.

He raised his hand to rub the arm that Addie had just pinched and looked at her with surprise. “Wake up? Hell, ye could wake the dead with that pinch! And trust me, I just came from a wake!” That explained the kilt, but Addie could not for the life of her figure out who this man was and why he kept calling her Beth!

“Sir, I think you’re mistaken.” Addie took a deep breath and held out her hand an offer for him to shake it,  “My name is Addaline Walker, Doctor Addaline Walker, but my friends call me Addie.” After a moment of his confused look she pushed her hand out farther, “and you are?”

“Beth, we don’t have time to be playin’ these games! The whole world knows that ye’ve come out of hiding and are here. That radge could be out these doors right now!”

Addie grasped on to the only word in that sentence that she did not understand. Maybe it would explain the rest to her, “Radge?”

“Madman, crazy, fool. It might as well describe me for thinking I could keep ye safe from yerself!”

Seeing she would get no where with him she sat down on the table and crossed her legs. If he wanted to play games, she could too. “I’m not Beth and I’m not going anywhere with someone I don’t know.” She looked down at her nails, examining the fresh manicure and smiled. She really did miss this pampering from her time in the Guatemala jungles.

“You know me! I’m Duncan MacKenzie and your boyfriend, Jackson, hired me to protect you. Something I question every time you pull one of these pranks. Now get your cute erse up and let’s get moving.”

“I don’t know you or this Jackson fellow.” Addie said shaking her head. “And I’m not going any where with you!” Then realization of what he said sank in, “Were you saying you think my butt’s cute?” Addie jumped off the table and headed to the full length mirror to look at her behind in the mirror, another thoughtless convenience that she did not have in Guatemala. Sure she had a mirror, but not a full floor length one to see every inch of her body at one glance. Looking in the mirror she was suddenly startled by the now very intimidating man approaching her.