Winged Chase

"What does it say?" Fishlegs asked.

Hiccup handed it to Bjorg, who read out loud:

"To find the Dragon's Rock, a dragon's wings will clear things up."

"Now that REALLY doesn't make sense!"" Snotlout shouted.

"It sounds like we can't do this ourselves." Hiccup said. "We need our dragons figure this out."

"Are we supposed to study our dragon's wings?" Astrid asked.

"I suggest we take to the skies again." Hiccup said.

"We've been doing that every time and it never helped." Snotlout said.

"Well what else are we going to do?" Hiccup asked him. He mounted Toothless and took to the sky.

Without me.

The other dragon riders mounted up. I started to head for the twins but Snotlout took my hand.

"Come on, you can still sit on Hookfang."

I wanted to say no thank you, but I knew he was right. The wind soaring past my wet skin wouldn't make me feel better. Hookfang's heated scales would help me a lot.

So I nodded, slipped Bluewing into my satchel, and followed him to Hookfang.

"Hey, how am I supposed to get around?" Bjorg frowned when we were in Hookfang's saddle.

"Ride with Astrid." Snotlout smirked, nudging Hookfang into taking off.

"Snotlout!" Astrid protested.

Poor Astrid. I thought.

But Bjorg climbed up behind her and Stormfly took to the sky.

As much as I wanted to be with Hiccup, Hookfang's warmth WAS Valhalla. Still, I refused to lean against Snotlout's shoulder like I felt so comfortable doing with Hiccup.

I gazed over the horizon. There were white clouds on the skyline and one grey cloud on the other side of the island.

Wait, it's coming closer. I strained to see. Are we in for a storm?

My eyes widened in realization. Oh no. It's the dragons that chased us here when we arrived!

"Uh, guys!" I tapped on Snotlout's shoulder.

Snotlout turned around. "Oh no."

"What?" Hiccup asked, turning in the saddle. "Oh no."

Astrid groaned.

"Hiccup, what are we going to do?" Fishlegs and Egil asked at the same time.

"Into the trees!" Hiccup yelled.

I hugged Snotlout tighter as Hookfang dove into the trees. The branches whizzed past. I moved my eyes back just far enough to see above me. No enemy dragons yet.

"Now everyone, just keep an eye out for them." Hiccup said. "Hopefully they're not following us."

"Hopefully?" Fishlegs and Egil whimpered.

We all flew in tense silence, eyeing the sky. Hours seemed to pass.

There was a roar somewhere above the trees.

"There going to find us!" Egil yelped.

"Follow me!" Hiccup instructed. He steered Toothless between a narrow space between some trees.