Dry Bones

"Augh!" I groaned as I sank lower in the river again. I gasped for breath, the cold trying to pull it from me. Bunching up every muscle I had in my legs, I pushed off a rock and threw myself upward.

"I've got it!" I gasped.

Toothless flew up. My body left the river and I was set down on the river side.

"Cloud," Hiccup jumped off Toothless and rushed to my side. Bluewing skittered up to look at me. I shivered, clothes and hair dripping icy water.

Arms wrapped around my neck. "Cloud," Hiccup said again.

"I-I'm o-ok-kay." I chattered, hugging myself for warmth. It didn't come.

Blue fire torched the ground beside me. Toothless finished his slow burn, leaving a toasty fire that filled me with warmth.

"Thank you." I whispered, settling down beside the fire. Hiccup gathered some wood to fuel the flames and some rocks to prevent it from spreading.

Bluewing climbed onto my shoulders to curl up. I smiled as his warmth spread through me.

"At least you'll dry off quickly." Hiccup said, sitting down beside me. "You scared me back there."

My heart fluttered.

Something crashed in the bushes. My fluttering heart skipped a beat.

"What was that?" I asked, a shiver numbing my spine.

"Toothless," Hiccup warned. Toothless lifted his wings and faced the bushes, prepared to strike.

Four people burst out of the foliage: Snotlout, Fishlegs, and the Skellingtons.

I sighed in relief, then gave a little shiver.

"What happened?" Snotlout demanded, tearing toward me.

"She took a little dip in the river." Hiccup explained.

"I'm fine." I quickly added.

Snotlout knelt down beside me. "Are you sure?" He asked.

"Yes."

He then stood up and glared at Hiccup. "What were you doing by the river?"

"I didn't know this would happen!" Hiccup's hands flew wildly. "We were following the dragon's tail!"

"No ye weren't!"

We all turned to Bjorg, who smiled. "We already found a dragon's tail."

"Where?" Hiccup asked, walking over.

Bjorg pointed in the direction they'd come from. "Yonder."

"Fishlegs," Hiccup started in the direction Bjorg had showed him. "Find Astrid and the twins and bring them back."

"Alright, Hiccup." Fishlegs mounted Meatlug and they flew off.

"Ok, show me this dragon's tail." Hiccup said.

I stood up, Bluewing heavy on my shoulders, and started to follow Hiccup.

"Snotlout," Hiccup said. "Cloud should sit on Hookfang to keep warm."

I opened my mouth to protest.

"You bet!" Snotlout grinned. He escorted me to Hookfang's saddle, but I pushed his hand and offer to help me up away.