Chapter Thirteen - Vast Skies

Nathan's blood boiled every time he would remember what happened at the coffee shop. More than the fact that Ivory assaulted his ex-fiancée, he was getting mad about the fact that David stuck close to Kazuki the whole time. Like a protective bodyguard of some sort.

That incident was three days ago, and it still haunted Nathan. He tried to avoid Kazuki, but his responsibility to train him hindered that plan. Instead, he limited his interaction with Kazuki a much as he can.

It was already too late for him to hold back and fight his growing feelings, because it already exploded. There was no way that he would acknowledge what he was feeling for Kazuki. It was wrong, he knew that it was wrong, he knew that he could never act on it.

His mind and his heart was in conflict. It was a terrible experience for him. Every time he is with Kazuki, it felt like torture for him. He felt awful, thinking that Kazuki would detest him once he finds out what he was feeling.

Although he was trying to avoid Kazuki, for both of their sakes, it didn't mean that he stopped caring for his cousin. In fact, that day, he was driving to meet the private investigator he hired to look into Michael Yamazaki, who Nathan thinks was bothering Kazuki.

"Is this the right place?" Nathan muttered to himself as he drove slowly inside a slightly unkempt cemetery. "Why did he want to meet here?"

He saw a familiar car and stopped just behind it. "Glad you didn't get lost, Mr. Velin." The private investigator greeted as Nathan walked up to him.

"I hope you have good reasons for wanting to meet here." Nathan said.

"I do. We'll get to that soon." The man replied. "Here is the information about Michael Yamazaki." He said as he showed Nathan the folder. Nathan tried to take the folder but the man moved his hand away. "Before I give this to you, I must say this. This whole thing about Michael Yamazaki is both suspicious and weird."

"How come?" Nathan asked.

"Ever since you hired me to look into him, I tirelessly searched for any bit of information about him, but to no avail, then all of a sudden, all this information came up. With my years of experience, I can only surmise this; someone was blocking any information about Michael Yamazaki."

"If that is true, then what changed their mind and released that information you gathered now?" Nathan asked skeptically.

"That's why I'm telling you this now. We shouldn't be too sure about anything pertaining to this Michael Yamazaki, you'll find out soon enough after I show you everything. You should be careful as well."

"I get it. Now can you tell me what you found out?"

"Michael Yamazaki is an orphan. The last known location that he was seen was at Oliviers' Jewelry where he worked." The investigator said as he handed Nathan the folder. "The last day he was seen, a VIP visited the store, and then the next day, he disappeared."

"Oliviers' Jewelry. That's one of our company's supplier." Nathan opened the folder and his eyes widened when he saw the picture of Michael Yamazaki. From the eyes, to the nose, to those lips, every feature looked very familiar. He couldn't be mistaken, that face belonged to Kazuki.

The moments Nathan spent staring and studying Kazuki's face made him familiar to every bit of detail in Kazuki's face. Even with the glasses on, Nathan could still recognize Kazuki's face.

"This must be some kind of mistake. This couldn't be Michael Yamazaki, this is Kazuki, my cousin." Nathan said both in denial and confusion.