- 18 -

Kelsey

I walked out into the hallway, following Lexi. I immediately noticed the hall was brightly lit and the room at the end seemed to have been picked up. The couch was missing, but it also looked like it had been broken in the middle of it before.

"Where'd everything go?" I walked into the cleaned up room.

"We decided to clean it up for you," Dan smiled brightly.

"Oh..." I was caught completely off guard.

"I know it was really bothersome for you this morning. We thought it would be nice to not have the reminders."

"Thanks, guys," I smiled and looked around at the freshly cleaned house.

"Are we ready to go?" Dan asked. "We've got a lot of ground to cover!"

I frowned and tilted my head slightly to the side. "You guys aren't coming, it's too dangerous."

"No, no, we're coming with you guys," Kyle frowned and shook his head. "It's not right to leave in the middle of something like this."

"Are you sure? This could literally be a life or death situation. I don't want any of you to get hurt," I frowned.

"We're sure," Will said this with so much conviction, I was sure he was getting ready to lead an army.

"Okay, if you're that sure of yourselves, let's go," I shrugged and turned to walk off.

Soon, we were traveling silently down the back roads leading from our house. The only sound came from the guys talking quietly amongst themselves in the back and my heavy breathing. It was almost to the point that I could feel my teeth on the verge of elongating and my throat nearly closed into snarls.

"Can I have the directions you found earlier?" Lexi asked quietly from behind the wheel.

"Yeah, sure," I shrugged and started reading directions.

As the car ride dragged along, my anxiety rose. Now the guys would find out what I really am for sure. They'll know I'm not in witness protection, that I'm actually not human. My thoughts consumed my mind as fear of what was going to come next clouded my brain.

I was shaken from my thoughts as the car slowed down. "What's wrong?" I asked, immediately alert and ready for anything.

"Something crossed the road in front of us. It looked like a person," Lexi looked harshly at me, a sign that it was something else. I sniffed the air and recognized the smell.

"Slow down, I see something up the road," I lied and pointed. Lexi understood and came to a stop.

I opened the car door and stood on the running board so my head was above the roof and out of sight of everyone in the car. Sniffing the air, I bared my teeth. It was strong. Either there's a lot of them here or we're close to where they've been staying.

Suddenly, a whistle came from my right. I snapped my head in that direction and caught sight of a light brown tail. Lukas.

I jumped off the car and bolted into the bushes, out of sight of everyone in the car. Their yells of surprise and protest echoed in my head, but they fell on deaf ears. I ignored them completely.