- 24 -

Kelsey

I woke up the next morning and smiled at the bright change of mood in the house. The sunlight that filtered through my closed blinds fell in slanted bars on the carpeted floor of my room, illuminating the dust that filtered through the air. I saw my meager suitcase sitting on the inside of my closed door with a little folded note on top of it.

After I stretched to wake up my muscles, I shuffled over to the black box. The note was addressed to me, written in my mom's handwriting.

Kelsey, Lexi and Celeste told me about what you guys decided last night. I already got your suitcase down. Pack what you need. We're getting plane tickets and trying to set everything up. I hope this plan works. Regardless, this will be a nice change of scenery! :)

I smiled as I folded the note back up and stuck it in my personal journal. I kept all the notes and pictures my mom has written me there. I'm just a big sentimental loser like that. Sometimes I like to go back and read the things she's written me over the years when I'm feeling particularly down.

I opened the door and was met by the pleasant sounds of people moving around the house. The scent of fresh forest air drifted through the house as well as a light breeze. They must have the windows open. It doesn't surprise me, it's a nice fall day.

"Kelsey!" Dan greeted me cheerily from behind, just down the hall. The door clicking shut told me he'd just been in his room.

"Dan," I smiled as he just walked over and wrapped his arms around me. I stiffened at first from shock, and because I didn't know what to do, but I soon melted into his arms. I felt no stress as I stayed in his arms. The subtle scent of cologne clung to the wrinkled black t-shirt he was wearing. "Did you just wake up?"

Dan pulled away, but kept his hands in mine. "How'd you know?" a smile pulled the corners of his lips up unevenly.

"It's not that hard to tell," I giggled. "Are you ready to go? Everyone else has been up packing."

"This is actually happening?" Dan's smile broadened as he let go of me to look down the hall, over my shoulder. "This is so exciting!"

"Yeah, it really is!" I smiled and turned back to my room. "I better get back to packing, I've got a lot to do."

"Do you need any help? All of my stuff is still packed."

"I'm okay for now, but thank you," I smiled, looking down at my feet. My hair fell into my face. Dan reached over and tucked a particularly long strand behind my ear. His touch and sight lingered momentarily on my ears, but he didn't seem judgmental. It was an expression of curiosity that marked his features.

Dan returned the smile as he nodded, shaking himself from the sight. "Right, just say something if you need anything. I'll be with everyone else."

"That sounds good to me," I awkwardly nodded and took a step back toward my room.

Dan stepped around me and walked down the hall, running a hand along the back of his neck before he walked into the room where everyone else was. I smiled to myself as I walked back into my room.

I was about halfway done with packing my essentials when my phone buzzed. Frowning, I looked at the lock screen. The text was from an unknown number. Actually, there were four texts from this number. I unlocked the phone and read them.