- 16 -

Kelsey

"Okay, guys, it's almost six o'clock. We should be getting home," Celeste laughed as we walked out of the store.

The cool evening air rushed against my arms, cooling my entire body off. I looked up at the sky to see the beginnings of the sunset.

"No! There's one more place I want to go!" Lexi smiled, leaning into Kyle. He'd finally had the guts to talk to Lexi about his feelings at lunch today.

"Okay, lead the way," Rose smiled and held her hand out, motioning for Lexi to go.

We started walking and I recognized the path almost instantly. We were going to go the the Empire State Building. I smiled to myself and looked over to Dan, who was walking silently along next to me, seemingly lost in thought.

Soon we were at the base of the building. Just looking up the side of the structure was dizzying. I almost felt weak in the knees at the prospect of climbing to the top. So, I'm afraid of heights, but I wouldn't dare let that show on the outside.

"This is wicked," Dan breathed, staring up the building in awe.

"You should see the view from the top, it's breath taking. Especially at the sunset." I smiled and motioned for him to follow me as I walked inside. The elevator ride up was relatively quick and silent, for the most part.

"Oh, my god," Dan's eyes widened as he gasped at the sight. The cage surrounding the top of the building did nothing to obstruct the view. The colors of the setting sun swirled together in a vivid ombré from dark to light as the sun dipped below the skyline of New York City. It was nice that it wasn't too crowded up here for once.

"Pretty, right?" I smiled and walked to the edge. The others spread out along the west side of the building.

"Not as pretty as you," Dan suddenly spoke under his breath.

I felt my heart drop, but not in the bad way. It was the feeling you get when something so amazing happens, you don't know how to react. "Dan, I-" I didn't even get to finish my sentence.

"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that." Dan turned red and shook his head.

"No, Dan. It's fine," I tried to smile reassuringly. "Because I think you're kinda cute, too." Oh, god. Why am I so cringey? I closed my eyes in embarrassment.

"Wait, really?" Dan asked, surprised by my words.

"Yes, really," I opened my eyes and smiled.

Dan turned a shade of pale pink as he glanced down at the floor to avoid eye contact. I suddenly felt like I was on a high. Nothing like this had ever happened to me, and this was exciting.

We ended up staying on the roof for a little while longer until more people started showing up as twilight quickly approached. Once we made it to the street again, we began the journey across town to the car. Dan and I were talking about different things, but mostly life.

I honestly felt like I was high. As cheesy as that sounds, that's what I felt like. It was like I was floating through the air on nothing. This was the most calm I've been ever and it was like nothing could ruin the mood.