The Final Keeper

Still smirking, Newt stood up.

"Come on, y/n. Let's go meet Minho," Newt said as he started walking towards the kitchen where some Gladers were eating dinner. 

I only recognized Frypan out of the four people there. One boy was Asian with black hair and big muscles. Another boy was skinny and blonde with rather pale skin. The last boy was dark like Alby but he had brown curly hair. 

"Alright, ya shanks," Newt said addressing the group who looked at him but never stopped eating. "This is our new Greenie."

All of them, except for Frypan who had already met me and was smiling my way, looked confused. The Asian one spoke up when the others didn't.

"Why the shuck is our Greenie a girl?" he questioned Newt, acting like I wasn't there and could obviously hear him.

"Nobody knows, and if you hadn't noticed slinthead, she's standing right there." Newt responded cooly.

"Ya, no shuck she's right there, otherwise I wouldn't have asked why we got a girl," the Asian one retorted sassily. 

"Alright, shut up both of you," I said rather annoyed like they were talking about me while standing next to me. "I am a girl as you've both noticed. What you haven't seemed to grasp onto however is that girls have ears, just like boys."

The Asian kid looked like he just got slapped in the face which pleased me, but Newt stood there observing me with a fear in his eyes. I suddenly realized why.

"Well, Greenie, it seems Newt hasn't told you that I am Minho, Keeper of the Runners," Minho said while standing up. I felt the blood drain from my face. Was there a punishment for insulting a Keeper? I didn't think there was but I wouldn't go down cause he wanted to be a slinthead as Newt had called him.

"And I am y/n," I replied coolly, trying to not let it show that Minho was actually quite intimidating while standing. "Glad we're all introduced."

Minho's anger seemed to be disappearing into amusement. I would guess that nobody sassed him like he seemed to do to others.

"Well, I'll be shucked," Minho said, smiling and chuckling, "Greenie here has some serious guts. Makes you wonder how long she'd last in the Maze, huh?"

The other boys laughed with Minho but Newt's color drained from his face. But all I could think about was the spark of excitement I felt when Minho said that. It would be pretty cool to go out into the Maze and try and find a way out. New adventures, and challenges, but before I could sass Minho back saying I'd outlast him, Newt spoke up.

"Y/N isn't going out into the Maze. Not now nor ever. Let's go. You were supposed to meet and now you have. Besides, I have to explain the job schedule to y/n for the next two weeks." 

Newt said all this with a dark look on his face. I was suddenly worried about him. Why couldn't I go into the Maze if it was one of the jobs? I wondered. Newt was leading me away from the other boys who had stopped laughing and looked confused at the sudden change of events.

He took me to grab a sleeping bag with him and led me to the edge of the forest. As we unrolled our sleeping bags Chuck came up to us carrying his own sleeping bag.

"Hey guys," Chuck greeted us, "Mind if I sleep with you tonight?"

I smiled at Chuck and Newt did the same.

"Of course you can Chuck," I told him.

"Right here," Newt said scooting over to make room for Chuck right in between me and him.

Chuck couldn't sleep so he just sat up and listened to Newt explain my job schedule. He would interrupt every now and then and I would just pat him on the back gently to quiet him down, which he did.

I found out that tomorrow I would be starting with the Trackhoes, Newt's job and felt a little excited when I heard this.

After I learned my schedule, the three of us laid down to sleep. Newt seem to fall asleep in a matter of minutes but Chuck was tossing and turning which kept me up as well.

"Y/N," Chuck said looking at you after trying to sleep for a good thirty minutes, "Will you sing me a lullaby? Please? I know it sounds childish but I've always had trouble falling asleep."

"Of course," I told him. I felt so bad for him. How could I not help him. I decided to do the lullaby Baby Mine and started singing.

Baby mine, don't you cry. Baby mine, dry your eyes. Rest your head close to my heart never to part, baby of mine.

Little one when you play, don't you mind what they say. Let those eyes sparkle and shine, never a tear, baby of mine.

From your head to your toes, you're not much goodness knows, but you are so precious to me, sweet as can be, baby of mine.

Chuck had fallen asleep around the second verse, but I kept singing just in case. Now that he was asleep, I had fallen asleep with ease, with my last thoughts being about Newt.

----------

NEWT'S VIEW  

I finished explaining to y/n about her jobs for the next two weeks. I turned over and closed my eyes and got warm in my sleeping bag, but I just couldn't sleep. I couldn't stop thinking about y/n.

She was no doubt the one that had written that letter to me. She even sang the same song from the letter, and there was no doubt about it: She really did have the voice of a bloody angel.

I felt so lucky to know I had someone like that with me before the bloody Maze. She was so beautiful. The way her hair fell down her back, and the way her y/c/e sparkled. I couldn't let her go into that Maze. Never.

Just as I was scolding myself to stop daydreaming and go to sleep I heard Chuck ask y/n to sing. I felt a jolt of excitement. Her voice was so pretty and peaceful, it would no doubt help all of us go to sleep.

She sang a song I didn't recognize but I didn't care one bit. Her voice sang and echoed throughout the Glade. I peeked through my eyes since my back was to her and saw a lot of the boys either sleeping, or sitting up to listen to her sing. Smiling, I fell asleep with the sound of her voice sailing in the air, and the thought of her, sailing through my mind.