xxxvii || house of invites

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I've decided a street party would be a good idea," Vincent sat down, "The students can invite family and friends. A gathering of everyone will be nice."

"What's the occasion?" Mr. Sweet asked.

"Christmas, of course," Vincent told him obviously, "We can have it on the 25th. I'll get some of the Anubis House students to hand out invitations."

Mr. Sweet nodded, "Right, well, of course. I'll just leave you in charge if that's okay."

"Perfect," Vincent smiled.

****

Fabian, Eddie, Patricia and Joy all searched through Vincent's office. They were looking through draws, papers, anything.

Joy rummaged through a pile of papers that sat neatly on his desk. She suddenly came across a scrap of paper, all 4 of the riddles were sketched on it, "Guys, he knows about the riddles."

The other 3 walked over to her and looked down at the paper. "Yep, okay, he's been down there."

"Does it look like he has deciphered any of the riddles yet?" Patricia asked.

Joy shook her head, "No, he looks stuck, too."

"Too?" Fabian asked in an offended tone, "We only saw the riddles a few minutes ago, give me longer than that, and I'll have then figured out."

"Okay, okay," Joy retreated.

"How do you think he knew the combination?" Fabian asked.

"It's lovely to know that you listen to me," Patricia rolled her eyes. Fabian gave her a confused and guilty look. Patricia then stood up and pointed to the poster on Vincent's wall that had the symbol for Euler's Constant on it, "Remember when I told you about this? Victor must be working with him."

"Maybe we should meet up with him?" Fabian suggested.

"And you have 4 tickets to Egypt? 'Cause I don't," Patricia snapped.

Fabian huffed, "I forgot about that. I can message him, though."

"You can try," Eddie stated, "But do you really think he'll tell you the truth?"

Suddenly, they all heard Vincent's booming voice come from downstairs, "All residents of Anubis House to the living room, please!"

"What's the time?" Eddie asked in a hurried voice.

In a state of panic, Joy reached into her pocket, "3:35. School ended 35 minutes ago. Let's get out of here."

All four of them then discretely left Vincent's office and hurried down the stairs.

"Right," Vincent started, once all the residents were sat in the living room, "On Christmas day we are holding a street party and I would like you all to attend and please bring any family or friends that you wish."

"Why should we bring friends and family?" Patricia asked.

"So you can celebrate Christmas with them, of course," Vincent told her.

"In fact, you, Miss Williamson, Joy Mercer, Fabian Rutter and Edison Miller I need you to have the invites out to all the houses," he handed a wad of A6 pieces of card in Patricia's direction.

All four of them shared a nervous and scared look.

"You can take tomorrow off of school to do so," he added.

"That's not fair," Jerome was quick to answer, "I want tomorrow off of school!"

"No, Mr. Clarke," Vincent stated, "Mr. Sweet has asked those 4 to hand them out," he added, lying.