The Battle Begins

*Clint POV*

I was walking past the lab when I heard Steve start talking. All I heard was 'kiss' then what sounded like lips touching.

I sneaked past the door and saw Steve and Kiera kissing. Oh, wow. I think I owe Tony $5 now.

I walked briskly past, knowing that Nat wouldn't be happy. I think she was just worried about the battle that's all. I didn't mind Steve and Kiera being together...as long as they don't keep locking lips all over the Helicarrier.

I walked into Tony's room, but he was talking with Nat. Crap...now I can't pay him without Natasha knowing something was up.

"Clint, you ok?" Nat asked. "You seem shaken up."

"I'm fine thanks for asking. I believe we're gonna be in New York any hour now. Just prepping that's all." I lied.

Off down the hall, I heard a giggle and then Steve laugh. Nat quietly excused herself and stalked out.

Oh no.

Tony seemed confused till I handed him a $5 bill. He made and 'Oh' shape with his mouth and nodded. "Well, I say we get together for one last training session. It's gonna be a lot more interesting now..." Tony then ushered me out, while muttering something about needing to work on his suit.

I saw Kiera and Nat alone in the hallway. It appeared a stern lecture was going on, but to my surprise Kiera actually made a sassy response and walked away. Nat turned to look at me.

"I knew it was going to happen. Now what?" She truthfully sounded upset. I had a feeling that perhaps Nat disliked Kiera, but perhaps she actually cared for her.

I shrugged and put my arm around Nat's shoulders. "Everything is gonna be fine. We're the Avengers. We'll do just fine."

Maria Hill's voice echoed around the Helicarrer's intercom.

"Will Hawkeye and Black Widow please come to the head of the Helicarrier? We are having an emergency team meeting."

Nat and I looked at each other and began to walk slowly toward the front of the ship.

*Kiera's POV*

I was dressed in all black. I had on combat books that were so heavy, I felt like I shook the ground when I waked. My pants were so tight, I could barely lift my leg. My shirt wasn't too bad, but the jacket I had over was rather restricting for arm movements.

Steve was in his uniform with his shield on his lap. I thought the dark blue really brought out his eyes. I saw him give me a quick side glance and gave a little smirk.

He knew I was staring. But I also knew that when I wasn't looking at him, he looked at me. It wasn't a lustful look. It was a look of pride or admiration. He was proud to be with me, even though we haven't made it official yet. Having the universe be saved is more important than a relationship at the moment.

Clint and Natasha walked in. I felt kind of guilty for snapping back at Nat earlier, but it also felt somewhat empowering. Who else can say they survived an argument with the Black Widow?

Nick Fury walked in and briefed us with our mission. Loki was in New York, made Stark Tower his power source, had some scientist named Erik Selvig under his spell, and has a portal allowing an alien race to enter into our world.

I looked at everyone's faces, but no one seemed shocked. Huh, guess this happens more than normal citizens realize.

Nat and Clint were set to fly us down and then let us loose in the city to save as many citizens as we can. I think Tony muttered something under his breath about saving his tower, but I wasn't quite sure.

We began to walk towards the jets and I felt nervous, yet excited. I could already feel my adrenaline pumping through my veins. Then I remembered the last time I felt like this...

I was around 13 years old. It was common that in our wolf form, the children would play fight to get used to knowing what our limits were. It also taught us what was ok and what was not ok to do. It's like watching an animal documentary where the baby animals were learning valuable skills that would help them become deadly hunters in the future. For us, it was just for fun.

I was fighting a boy and we got a little carried away. We began to fight a little more violently and some of the adults tried to pull us apart. We couldn't stop. Something inside of us clicked and we had basically became real wolves. I remember feeling so much adrenaline that it felt like I was in a dream. I was bitten, but I never felt the pain. We ran head first into each other, but we didn't get phased. We continued to fight until we fell into a river and the cold snow run off broke us of our trance.

We climbed out of the river and transformed into our human form. We were cold and soaking wet. We were bloody and bruised. The adults found us and carried us back to the main clan camp. The adults said it was an accident. Just a play fight gone a little haywire.

But the whispering was all over the camp. Everyone who saw the fight said I took it too far. They said that the boy was very hurt. He wasn't in critical condition or anything crazy like that, but he still was worse than I was.

Now I'm scared that what if during the battle, I take things too far and I hurt a teammate?

Or even worse...what if Loki senses my fear and uses it against me?