Queen Lannie

The three had finally made it to the castle. It was gorgeous, everything seemed to be made out of shimmering crystal and rare gems. The friends stared up at it in amazement.

The guards who stood at the door approached them, suspicious looks on their faces. These strange newcomers looked dirty and tired. They couldn't have a bunch of hobos hanging around their Queen's castle!

"Who goes there?" they demanded.

Ren held his hands up in defense. "Hey, we were sent by our friend Jumper. He said we needed to talk to the Queen."

The guards exchanged glances, eyes wide, before turning back. One of them spoke up, "You know Prince Jumper?"

The three friends were floored. Prince Jumper?! Since when was Jumper a price? They must had him confused with someone else. Salia shook her head, "No. He isn't a prince. He's a gargoyle who ran a Tavern in Gargoyle City."

"That's him. That's the prince," the other guard gasped, "Is he with you?"

"H-he, um..." Ren trailed off.

"He's not with us anymore," Salia continued.

"What do you mean?" questioned one of the guards.

"A shapeshifter killed him," Marco explained.

The guards' faces fell, like they had just witness someone jump off a cliff.

"Follow us," they said, leading them into the castle. The inside was just as gorgeous as the outside, full of bright crystals and beautiful decorations. The guards lead the group into a large throne room. Delicate candlers hung from the ceiling. Exquisite tapestries lined the walls. And in the very center of it all stood a golden throne, in which sat a beautiful creature. She was tall and thin, with a long purple dress flowing around her. She had features of a cat, such as the pointed ears and wide eyes, but she also had gargoyle-ish features. Such as the gray-stone colored skin and large wings. On top of her head sat a crystal crown that shimmered whenever the light hit it just right.

Queen Lannie.

The guards gave a deep bow, and the three friends followed suit, to show respect for the Queen. As they stood up straight, she demanded in a clear angelic voice, "What brings these travelers to my castle?"

"They said they knew Prince Jumper," explained the guards, "They said he sent them to you."

Queen Lannie stood up in a mixture of shock and excitement, "You know my son? How is he? Is he happy?"

Ren ran a hand across his bald head, great, Jumper never mentioned she was his mom! "Your highness, your son told us that you knew how to defeat Hekapoo, who stole our friend's scissors," he pointed at Marco, "He needs to get home, and Prince Jumper offered to show us the way to your castle. On the way we were attacked by a Shapeshifter. He fought very bravely, but was bitten, and was soon overcome by the poison. I am very sorry to say that he did not make it."

The Queen collapsed onto the throne, tears falling down her face. "D-did he suffer much?"

"No. He was very brave during the whole ordeal. You had a very strong son. Without him we would not be here today. You should be proud."

The Queen buried her head in her hands and began to weep softly over the loss of her son. It felt like someone had ripped her heart in two.

Salia, being the sensitive girl she was, also began to cry. She had never thought a regal and majestic queen would be able to break down and cry in front of her subjects. It almost scared her, she could feel the Queen's pain. Ren pulled the floating girl into a tight embrace, "It's okay, it's okay. Don't cry."

The Queen looked up, composing herself. She stood and walked over to the three friends, approaching Salia. "You were his friend, weren't you?"

Salia nodded, choking on her tears.

"I now no longer have an heir to my throne. So I must think of my people's future. Seeing you cry shows me that you feel sympathy for other people's pains. I know that you would treat my people with the respect and dignity that they deserve."

Salia wiped her eyes. "Wh-what are you saying?"

"I am naming you my heir. You will be the Queen whenever I am gone."

Salia's eyes grew as wide as saucers. "A-A-A Queen? But, I'm not royal, my family was very poor and uneducated."

"Then I know that you will be able to relate to my people on a personal basis. That is important for a Queen, to understand her kingdom's needs. You would be a very compassionate and just ruler."

Ren looked over at the girl, "You must say yes. You would be safe and happy here."

"But what about you?" she asked. "I can't leave you back at our old village. You'd be alone."

"I'll be fine. You would be much happier here."

The Queen spoke up, "He wouldn't have to go back. He could be knighted and stay here to protect you."

Salia nodded excitedly, "Oh! Ren! Would you?"

"You're a princess now, I'll do whatever you want me to," he grinned.

The girl gave a happy squeal an threw her arms around her friend, "Oh! This is wonderful! Now you can be happy too!"

Then the girl looked at Marco, "Wait, what about you? We still need to get you home."

Queen Lannie went back to her throne and sat gracefully onto it. "I can still help him. I know Hekapoo, and while she has bound me to secrecy to not tell where her scissor laboratory is, I can begin to point you in the right direction. Her and her clones are found a lot near abandoned castles,
dungeons, liars, or monasteries. The people who live around the areas where she hides can give more precise directions, especially the monks. You will find a lot of information from them on the locations of these abandoned areas. They will be able to help you more than I can."

Marco gave a big grin, "Oh thank you! You have no idea how helpful that was, now we know where we need to go!"

"Fantastic," the Queen gave an elegant smile. "Before you go off again, please, why don't you three stay here for the night? I will arrange for food and fresh clothes to be sent to your rooms."

Salia clapped her hands together, "That would be wonderful! Thank you so much, er, your majesty."

The Queen gave an amused laugh, "There is no reason for formalities between us, you are my heir. Just call me Lannie."

"Of course!"

Queen Lannie stood up, "Come! Follow me, I'll show you to your rooms."