17: Belief

Dedicated to Levi_Aly, an active reader of this series and a fellow Filipina. Hope all of you guys like it.

---

SEVENTEEN – Belief

There and then, you realized that you were dreaming. Levi never came to your rescue. You were still in the captive hands of Annie, Reiner, and Bertholdt. Erwin was still nowhere to be found and you don’t know what time it was. You didn’t know how long you passed out and that you couldn’t see anything.

You could hear footprints from the ground, though. There were hushed footsteps, and heavy ones. You could hear someone thump, and fall into the ground. What’s weird was that you could feel four pairs of footsteps, and not three. Someone else was there.

You froze on the spot when you could hear Annie shout in anger, calling out to Reiner and Bertholdt. Her voice was in a mixture of enjoyment, and panic. You tried if you could open your eyes, and yet there were. Did they do something to you that made you blind? Did they scoop your eyeballs out while you were unconscious? You screamed, and that you felt something in front of your mouth. Fuck this.

Now, you felt her scream in agony, cursing at the person who delivered such pain. She didn’t say who that person was, but you were thankful to that person who paralyzed Annie and the two. Now, if that person would only find you and set you free.

The setting became silent for more than a minute, but it seemed like an eternity passed when you heard footsteps. The sound became louder, signaling that he was coming closer. Thoughts immediately came into mind, letting you assume who that person might be? Was it Erwin, or someone else? Was it some random dark horse? Would he do something bad, or would he save you? Either way, you were still nervous.

Then, you felt him stop, and felt a presence in front of you. You heard the floor creak and felt the person take a whiff of your hair, sending shivers down your spine. Hands then made its way to your shoulders, lifting you up. You tried to not fight it – you were obviously at a physical disadvantage and that your nerves would shut up, unable for you to make the best way to get out alive whoever that person is.

You then felt hands go into the back of your neck. After a while, you felt the cloth that was blocking your mouth released. It was then you had the chance of speaking, not even thinking about it.

“Who are you?” you asked, trying to sound strong, even though your voice and your body were shivering.

There was a complete silence between the both of you. You frantically waited for his answer before you would say something else. As you were about to open your mouth, the person responded to you.

“Relax, princess. I’m here to set you free,” the voice said. You felt total relief as you fully knew who that person was. He then proceeded to undo something that was on the back of your head, revealing cloth that was hindering your vision.

You saw his features – jet black hair, and cold grey eyes. He looked at you stoically as a rush of emotions spread throughout your whole body. You were about to cry, but he used his fingers to wipe the tears that was forming on your eyes.

“Was I too late, princess?” he asked teasingly.

“Fuck. You will never be late,” you replied and tackled-hugged him, making him fall into the floor. You were making a complete mess – the floor was full of debris and that you were messing his shirt because you were crying on his chest, greasy tears staining it. You felt him pat your head, and you knew that everything was alright. You stayed in your position for a short while until his nose lightly bumped your forehead, telling you to let go.