3: Decapitated

Warnings of horror, gore, and blood.

---

 THREE – Decapitated

Your legs sprinted as you rushed to your high school, which was a hundred meters from the suburban you were just in. You could see a blond-haired person in the gates, expecting it was Armin. The conversation you had with him in the phone was still ringing on your head.

“Jean… he’s dead,” Armin said, his voice cracking.

“What? H-how?” you stammered, shocked by the news.

“His body has been found at school.”

“N-no…” you continued to say mindlessly. You couldn’t believe what you heard. “Jean? It can’t be…”

“They say that his body had been there for at least 12 hours,” he added.

“It’s not possible, Armin. That’s some other person,” you continued to say, believing in every word coming out of your mouth.

“I mean, [name], all witnesses, including his friends and relatives, identify the body as Jean Kirschtein.”

You sighed, slightly trembling. “Armin, meet me at the gate in ten minutes. I am going there, and I’ll prove all of you wrong…” you said, and you hung up.

---

“Jean can’t be dead. He can’t fucking be…” you mumbled as you were nearing the gates of the school. You clearly saw the expression on Armin’s face – he is devastated.

“I mean, I’ve talked to him on the phone just this morning. What could he have possibly done?” you continued to mutter under your breath.

You’ve stopped in front of Armin. The moment you stopped, you tried to catch your breath, holding yourself up by placing your hands on your knees for support.

“Yo… what’s up?” you forced to say in between breaths in the most casual voice you could. But, it failed to show that you were absolutely tired, and scared.

“Could you still walk?” Armin asked, showing a lot of concern, despite the look on his face a while ago. “Come on, we’ll walk slowly, and I’ll tell you everything that I know.”

You breathed in a few more times, stood up straight and looked at him, hiding all the fear you had on your face. “I could walk, let’s go.”

---

“You see…” Armin started to say, but stopped.

The both of you walked slowly to the scene of the crime, which is at the third floor of the building. Armin looked down and gulped. You simply stared at him, anticipating on whatever he’ll say.

“I was the one who saw Jean dead,” he continued, slowly.

“Look Armin, if you can’t take it, don’t say anything,” you said gently.

“N-no… it’s fine. I can take it,” he interrupted. “It’s b-because you were the last one with him, right?”

You nodded. “And—?”

“I…I—” he continued to stammer.

You sighed. You knew he wanted to say the reason, but there was something that was holding him back. You simply ignored it, because you thought that opening more doors would lead to your own self-destruction. “Just continue with the story, Armin. If you please…”