ch. seventeen

Liam was only three days from the 'deadline' Josh gave him and he was a complete mess. He looked terrible because he couldn't get any sleep. Especially since he stopped sleeping with Niall. He barely ate because the guilt made him feel sick to his stomach almost all the time. He avoided the blonde man like the plague and when he did see him the look Niall had on his face every time broke Liam's heart to pieces.

This day he came home about twenty minutes earlier than usual, he quietly opened the door, seeing the lights in the living room were off. Liam sighed in relief, it meant Niall was probably already asleep. Which Liam was thankful for because for a while Niall would stay up to wait for Liam but Liam would just tell him he was too tired to talk.

But as he walked further in he could hear voice coming from down the hall. Liam quietly walked closer to their bedroom, seeing it was partially open. He peeked inside and Niall was laying on the bed facing away from the door with Harry sitting on the edge of the bed next to him.

"I just...I feel like he doesn't love me anymore?" Niall managed to say. Liam felt as if someone was squeezing his heart when he heard those words. "He won't t-talk to me, Haz. He missed my last ultrasound!"

Liam closed his eyes. That's right, he did miss it. Not on purpose – he just honestly forgot. "Ssh," He heard Harry say. "I don't know what's wrong with him. Liam doesn't seem like the person who would ever do this. Zayn and Louis told me they don't understand it either. This isn't their friend."

"I thought he loved me."

"Niall I do," Liam mouthed to himself. "So much."

"He does, Ni. I'm sure he does. No one just falls out of love this quickly. Liam was too far gone with you and your baby." Harry assured.

Niall sniffled. "It doesn't s-seem like he did. Not anymore."

The taller man rubbed Niall's back. "I'm sorry," He said, voice soft. "How about some hot chocolate?" He asked.

"Yes please," Niall replied. "Thank you, Haz."

"Of course, Ni. I'm here for you." He leaned down and placed a kiss to Niall's forehead before getting up.

Liam didn't want either of them knowing he was here. He quickly turned around and quietly hurried back to the front door. Just as he opened it Harry walked out, spotting him. Liam stepped out, closing the door behind him and walking down the hall. But he cursed to himself when he heard it open again.

"Where are you going?" Harry asked, voice low in anger.

"Out," Liam answered as he kept walking.

"Don't be surprised if Niall is gone when you get back."

Liam stopped in his tracks at that for just a second. But then he shook his head and started walking. If Niall was going to be gone when he got back, then that would make this easier.

Liam didn't come home until four am the next morning. He didn't bother to look for Niall's car, nor check to see he him or harry were still there. He went to sleep on the couch, exhausted from the night before. He woke up when he heard what sounded like wheels on the hardwood floor.

He sat up just in time to see Niall wheeling a suitcase to the door. "Niall," He breathed out, voice soft. He watched the blonde freeze in his tracks, tensing up at the sound of his name.

"I-I don't have time to talk," The Irish man said as he walked closer to the door.

"You're leaving?" Liam meant it as a statement, but it came up as a desperate and heartbroken question.

Niall tried his best not to cry. "Y-You're giving me n-no other choice." He sniffled once. "I-I can't stay here. N-Not with someone who doesn't l-love me."