ch. six

The next day Niall wasn't at work. Of course Liam noticed, but Louis did too. He had a sinking feeling it was because of him. During lunch he sat at his desk working on something while Liam was eating some leftovers he had packed with him. Louis looked over and noticed Liam just playing with his food and staring off at nothing.

He let out a sigh. "I think I've upset him." He said.

Liam blinked once before looking over at Louis. "Who? Zayn?" He asked.

Louis shook his head. "No, Niall."

The taller brunette frowned at him. "Niall? Why would you do that?" He asked. Even if Niall rejected him Liam was still head over heels for the blonde boy.

Louis let out another sigh. "I talked to him about you yesterday after work."

Liam's eyes widened a bit before his frown was back. "Lou, why? I get that you care and I'm thankful it. But this was best left for me to handle."

"I know. But it just made me mad he didn't want to give you a chance. You a great guy Liam. It made me even angrier to find out he liked you back. It seemed like such a douchebag thing to do. Reject you even though he likes you. And I confronted him for it. But I guess I probably shouldn't have." Louis explained, looking down at his keyboard.

Liam sighed this time and ran a hand through his hair. "Damn it, Lou. I appreciate it but now he's probably angry with you and you didn't need to bring this upon yourself."

"Well if he is angry with me I deserve it. I assumed his life was going perfect right now. And well, maybe he could be but it's not exactly easy for him. I won't say. He'll have to tell you when he's ready."

Liam looked down at his food, sighing in defeat now. "That's if he'll ever be ready."

Louis watched Liam stare longingly at his plate as he pushed his food around. He needed to fix this mess.

And that's how Louis found himself standing outside the door to Niall's flat. He took a deep breath and knocked on the door a few times. If opened not even a minute later.

"Can I help you with anything, Louis?" Niall asked. And the brunette couldn't help mentally sighing in relief when he didn't hear any malice of anger in the Irish lad's voice.

"I came to talk and apologize." He answered. Niall eyed Louis warily for a moment before stepping aside and letting the boy in. He closed the door and walked in to the living room, sitting down so Louis could explain. He sat down on the other end of the sofa and looked over at Niall. "First I just want to say I'm sorry. For snapping at you, for assuming when I shouldn't. I had no right to say the things I did."

Niall shook his head. "I don't blame you. You're a great friend, sticking up for Liam like that." He cut in.

"Maybe but that doesn't give me a right to be so hostile towards you. I didn't know. I didn't know and so I assumed and in turn I made you tell me something that wasn't any of my business."

The blonde bit his lip. "You um, you didn't tell Liam right?" He asked. "I know I said all that yesterday about telling him so he'd leave me alone but that was the hormones speaking."

Louis gave Niall a reassuring smile. "This isn't for me to tell. Your secret is safe with me, Niall."

"Thank you, Lou." Niall returned the smile.

"Now, I know this is what you were trying to avoid but can I tell you something?" He asked. Niall looked blinked but nodded. "Liam is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. Nicer than me for sure. Nicer than Zayn. He's been a lot nicer than most friends I've ever had. He has a heart of gold. And to be honest, it's too big. Sometimes he's too nice. He's forgiving and understanding. I know for a fact he's not mad or upset with her. He's sad but he still cares about you. Even if it can only be as a friend. I told him what I did. That I talked to you. And he wasn't happy about it. He didn't like that I upset you and he didn't like that you were mad at me."