BONES AU Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

"How clothe was Kirthie?" Max asked Hoying.

"A few feet. And she's fine." He responded.

"So it'th probably not a toxic gath, then."

"Kirstie said it was some kind of powder."

"Which means there could be traces on his clothing."

"Just... Work fast, okay Max? Work fast." Scott said before going to his office to call Joe. He wasn't sure what to say in a situation like this, but he was going to try anyways. He dialed the number by heart. Thankfully, he answered.

"Yea, Bones?" Joe asked with a yawn.

"When did you last sleep?"

"Doesn't matter. What do you need?"

"Well... Considering the relationship between you and Kevin, I'd like to say the right thing, Booth, but I don't know what it is. Usually I'd ask you or Mitch..."

"You just said it... thanks." They stayed silent on the phone for a few minutes. Scott could hear Kevin's heart monitor in the background, it was dangerously low. He thought maybe he should say something, but then realized Joe probably already knew. Meanwhile, on the platform just outside, Kirstie and Max were arguing, as always.

"Kirthie, I've already told you I can'th fine any particleth on his clothing!"

"Wellllll, did you search electronically?"

"Yeth. Now are you thure it wath a powder?"

"Yes!"

"It had to be a gath."

"Max, if it were a gas, I'd be in the hospital with Kevin, but heeeeere I am!"

"Unfortunately... Look, there aren't any particleth on his clothing, it had to be a gath."

"...Are we having an argument?"

"Yeth, of courthe we are."

"Why?"

"Because Kevin is dying and I should be with Mitch. And because thereth. No. Particleth."

"You've only checked the clothing, right? Well, what about the glass parts still in the head from the ball?"

Max stood up and pressed a huge kiss in Kirstie's hair. "Thooo not mad ath you anymore!" Max exclaimed before running off.

"Uh... Th-Thanks?"

***********************************************************************************************

The monitor beeped rhythmically as Joe tapped his foot across from Kevin's bed, trying to read a book. He looked up when Kevin coughed and opened his eyes. Joe rolled over in the chair with a smile.

"Hey..." Kevin said weakly with a small smile through his chapped lips.

"Welcome back." Joe smiled back.

"Why can't I breathe?" Kevin coughed more.

"Your saw hit some kind of, uh, poison, but you're gonna, uh, be fine, of course. Your squints are working on it."