BONES AU Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

Joe had come as soon as he heard what happened to Mitch, and checked on Kevin, who was examining the heart in his lab, being the leading pathologist and all.

"There are cut marks on both sides of the inferior vena cava and connecting arteries." Kevin told him.

"Uh... English?" Joe asked, leaning on a wall behind him, not wanting to watch a heart cut apart, naturally.

"The heart was cut out using shears or scissors."

"Right. See? That's the stuff I need. Anyways, package was delivered by a bike messenger. He said a guy matching Elliot's Young's description approached him on L street. Paid cash, of course."

"God... He's just playing with us, isn't he?"

"Not for long. How's Mitch?"

"Angry. Quite, quite angry. But, he insisted on helping me, which worked well. He realized that the ever so kind gift we received from Elliot was a recipe. The ingredients inside the vial, yknow? They're all used to make curries."

"Indian food... Young's wife... The last address we had for her was in Little India over a curry restaurant." Joe replied as Scott entered the room, clearly about to say something but was pulled along by Joe to his work car.

"So I guess we're going then" Scott said from behind as he was walking at a casual pace but Joe was speed walking. Height had it's perks, at times. Especially when smaller people try to walk fast with you.

They got to Caroline's apartment, knocked and waited.

"I don't think shes gonna answer, Joe."

"Her loss of a door." Joe said before taking his gun out, holding it down and kicked down the door. He walked in and Scott followed carefully. Hoying tried the light switch, which didn't seem to work until they heard the fridge start up.

"Stay there," Joe stated bluntly before looking around the refridgerator. "Well, it isnt trapped."

Just as he said that, Scott opened the fridge only to see Caroline's head, decapitated, blood splattered and blue.

"Ooh... The neck was severed right above the shoulders. The jagged marks on the bone suggest Young used some kind of saw to decapitate her. No sign of blunt force trauma to the skull..." Scott rambled until the evidence team arrived and took the head to the famed Jeffersonian Institute.

"Why just leave her head, though?" Kirstie asked as she circled the head with Kevin.

"To get us all involved. I mean, the less there is to work with, the more we all work over time... Everything he does is a clue, right?"

"Um, yes, I think so...? You think the clue could be in the head?"

"Yes... Yes I believe it is."

"Then let's get the 12 saw out and cut it open!"

"Miss Maldonado, there are protocols. We can't just cut it open, we need x-rays and-"

"Yea, yea, I got it" Kirstie responded in a monotone voice as she left in boredom. "Just anxious to get the gerbil back in it's cage, is all"

After, Hoying was examining the spinal cord and skull in the bone room as Joe walked around, touching everything like a child.

"well this is terrifically disturbing" Scott said, gloved hands holding the head to see better.

"What is, now?" Joe asked as he walked over ininterest.

"Massive blood aspiration to the soft tissue of the neck."

"Meaning?"

Scott sighed. "Caroline was still alive when she was decapitated... He's torturing his victims, now."

"Good god... Well, let's torture him."

"How?"

Joe looked up at him with a grin. "Bring his mother in, of course, Bones."

"But I thought Elliot hated his mother?"

"His F. B. I. profiler thinks he has an emotional attachment to his mother or something, I dunno, all I know is that it could be useful."

"I suppose bringing in his mother could throw him off his game, maybe..."

"See? There's the quick moving mind we need. Cmon, I'm calling her in" Joe said as he pulled Scott out of the bone room and got out his phone to call the bureau.

"God what's that smell?" Joe asked as they entered the interrogation room, which held Mrs. Young, Elliot's mother.

"Mold. It grows in the fat creases of morbidly obese people." Scott replied with out a hint of any concern in his voice as he sat down.

"What am I here for? Just so you can make fun of me?" Mrs. Young asked in a rude tone.

"Merely stating a fact, Mrs. Young. Morbid obesity can cause diabetes, heart conditions, liver failure, not to mention the stress I puts on your joints."

"I have a glandular condition, I think what I need is some compassion and understanding, Dr. Hoying."

"What you need is to loose weight, Mrs.-"

Joe interrupted him. "Okay okay okay you two, look, Mrs. Young, Elliot has escaped prison." She sighed.

"I tried to raise a good son, Agent Hobbs, really, I did. I tried to raise him like the good book says, but I don't know what went wrong. He was such a nice child."

Hoying butt in. "Mrs. Young, Elliot killed his ex-wife yesterday. Beheaded her."

"You think that's my fault?!"

"Well, you did bathe him in ammonia daily."

" The women he would go out with, they were loose. Not the right kind for a God-fearing son. Wanted him to wash their scent off." She sneered back at Hoying and he gave her a disgusted look. Joe knew Scott had a tendency to piss off suspects and suspects, make them uncooperative so he cut him off before he could even start.

"Thank you, Mrs. Young. We'll have an agent escort you home. Cmon, Bones." Joe said as he stood up and his partner followed suit.

V91i]*