BONES AU Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

“It’s bone, thaved down by a routh sand paper” Max said as Scott came to his office to see the progress on the contents of the vial.
“Max found micra-grit” Kirstie added.
Max shook his head. “Tell you thith, if Young comes near Mitchth, I’ll kill him myself. Forgeth the firing squad.”
“That isn’t in effect anymore, Max.” Scott said in an unconcerned tone while looking through the microscope at the bone.
“Well, what about the rest of us?” Kirstie questioned, looking over Max’s shoulder.
“Everyone is going to be fine. Kevin increased security.” Hoying replied.
“Yea, and you’ve goht the big gun. Hey, kinda hard tho keep that one quiet. If you were Kirthie, here, I’d say it was very Gunth and Ammo: Thummer Edition… Right I’m gonna conthentrate on my work now” Max said the last part in one breath after catching their glare.
After a few minutes, Max piped up again. “Hey, osteon count plathes the victim’th age ath mid-30s”
“Okay, I'll run amelogenin and a nuclear D. N. A. test to get sex and race” Kirstie replied in a now totally professional tone before leaving with a sample of the shreds.
Max was still typing as Scott waited over his shoulder.
“Okayth, I’ve got the themical break down.” Max said as the computer beeped. “Powderth in the bone are oganicth, it’th a mixture of cardamom, tamarind, and kokum.” He turned to look up at Scott to see him in a clear state of thought.
“Spices?”
“Yea.”
“The bone wasn’t cooked. Why would he add spices to it?”
Max shrugged. “Young liketh puzzleth. The thpices are a methage.”
Out of nowhere, there was a shrill scream from Mitch’s office. The two looked at each other for half a second before darting across the establishment.
They got there and Max went straight to Mitch but Hoying went to the box on her desk.
“A heart.” he determined.
Kevin skidded in and looked down at the box as well.
“Definitely human. Adult. D. N. A. can give us sex.” Kevin said in a sigh. Kirstie had found herself there, as well.
“He’s killed two people today” she said from behind her teacher.
“That’s if this heart’s not from the same victim as the bone dust” Scott said as he picked up the paper it was wrapped in. It looked as if every line was blacked out.
“Wh-What is that?” Mitch pointed at the paper and inched closer, almost as if the heart would jump out at him at any moment. This was the worst part of the job, he thought. The decomposed bodies, the occasional dead child. He hated this part with all his heart. No pun intended.
“It looks like the D. C. Sentinel article about the lab…” Scott inspected it closer. “Every line is blacked out besides Max’s small bit about Mitch being the heart of the operation.”
“Thon of a bitcth.” Max whispered.
“How did this even get in here? I thought there was increased security and stuff!” Mitch exclaimed.
“I-I’ll take care of it” Kevin said as he looked at the heart more.
“….He’s coming after me through my friends.” Scott said softly. “He said everything that happened from now on would be my fault.”
“Then we’ll make sure nothing else happens.”