BONES AU Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

Joe, after dropping off Scott to his office at the Jeffersonian walked to Kevin's office.

"Well hi there, special agent" Kevin said in a playful tone when he entered.

"Hey"

"So what'd Caroline give you?"

"The chills. Anyways, I want you to double security."

"You think he's really gonna go after Scott?"

"I'm not taking any chances. I also don't want you alone either."

"Is this an invite over?"

"No, I think everyone should just stay here at the lab."

"Leave it to a serial killer to kill the mood, ammi right?"

"Kevin? Kevin I want whatever security you think is necessary? Double it, you hear me?"

"I'll take care of it, don't worry."

Joe left his office. He and Kevin had a thing years ago, but cut it off after Joe's ex, Jessica (and his child's mother I might add) wanted to get back together even though Joe had come to the realization in their time apart that he was gay. Very, very, very gay. Still, it made things awkward, but now that he and Kevin were reunited by work, let's just say there were some sleepless nights in D. C. This, though, did not stop his growing feelings for his partner, Scott. Joe was sure he was straight, and even if he wasn't, who would want to date an ex-sniper, cocky F. B. I. agent with a gambling addiction? He sure wouldn't. Plus, Scott had enough on his shoulders at the moment. Catching Elliot Young, writing his next action novel and probably getting another degree in something Joe had never heard of. Little did he know, Scott felt the sexual tension between them as well and occasionally wanted to smash their faces, but, again, he was oblivious of this. Joe leaned on the wall in the hallway between the bone room and the "Grassitron" room as Mitch went to talk with Scott.

"Hey, so, we have an I. D. on the fireman. Randy Giles." He said as he pinned the picture up on Scott's board with the previous victims before Young's conviction.

"Elliot would appreciate the irony... He isn't just going after young blondes anymore... He's killed in prison, too."

"God, I know. It's just flat out disturbing... You know I was thinking..."

"Well that's dangerous"

"Whatever. Anyways, I have some sick days coming up, and since ____ makes me sick..."

"Mitch, we need you. Max needs you."

"That was low. Very low, under the belt hit, there"

"I know. Did it work?"

Mitch shook his head.

"How do you deal with the fear?"

"Well, for starters, I have this" Scott responded as he opened his desk drawer and pulled out a very large revolver.

"Oh my- Oh my god, Scott!" Mitch laughed a little as Joe walked in.

"Where the hell did you get that?!" Joe asked with alarm in his voice moments after entering.

"Oh, this? The mall."

"The... mall?!"

"Yea" Scott said like nothing was wrong with this.

"Its bigger than your gun, Joe. His is, like, movie size." Mitch chimed in mater-of-factly.

"It has nothing to do with the size, Mitch, it has to do with what you do with it." Joe said, sounding very very done.

"No, no I think I had a pretty convincing argument. Size matters, hon."

"Not helping."

"Right. Y'know what? Imma go. This seems like a private conversation." Mitch left for his office, not wanting to interfere.

"Look, Bones, you shouldn't have a gun in the first place, okay?" Joe said with concern but Scott flopped into his desk chair and spun around, holding the firearm in the air.

"This is America. Get used to it." He retorted in a playful manner as Joe laughed. Then, the phone rings and Scott picked up. "Hoying."

"Hello, Dr. Hoying. I'd forgotten how much I loved fresh air, thanks to you and your dream team." Elliot said in a raspy voice into the phone. Scott mouthed to Joe "Its Elliot!" and Joe ran out to alert the tech team to track the call.

"You killed people. One today, actually."

"Means to an end. Everything is a means to an end."

"Right... What do you want? You wouldn't have called if you didn't want something. So spit it out already."

"I wanted to tell you that everything that happens from here on in? Is your fault. Nice talking to you, Dr. Hoying."

Elliot hung up right before Joe ran back in.

"Payphone on the corner of L Street and First Avenue, let's go." He waved for his partner to get up and follow him at the jog he was at to the car, which he did.

The pair arrived at the payphone Young had left, the phone still dangling. Scott instantly went to it as he put on gloves.

". Want you to check every bus stop. See any witnesses, you bring them to me." Joe yelled to the other agents on the scene before going to his partner. "What do we got?"

"He left us something" Scott picked up the small vial with shreds in it.

"God what is that?!"

Scott shrugged and placed it carefully in an evidence bag.