BONES AU Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

"Marianne Young was clearly a bad mother." Scott said as they rode back to the Jeffersonian. Joe chuckled.

"Ya think?"

"But, a lot of people have bad mothers and they don't grow up to be serial killers, which is why I don't put much stock in psychology."

"Bones, I don't care how you explain it, all right? The guy, he's an animal. He's got no conscience."

"I still don't know how know draws moral distinctions between killers, Joe."

"Listen, Bones, there are crimes of passion, all right? Crime committed out of desperation which are usually followed by remorse or acknowledgement of human failing. Key word here? Human."

"I still believe the reasons for killing someone are unimportant, it's the life that's taken is all that matters."

"Look, you can't blame yourself here."

"Why not? It's me he's after. Mitch and everyone else? They shouldn't be involved."

"All right, look, this is not your fault, okay? It's all Elliot. Which is why I'm going to take this bastard down."

Scott nodded and looked in his mirror, seeing the same car he had seen for the last few blocks.

"Joe... Joe we're being followed." Scott said with concern as he looked at his partner, who nodded.

"Mm-Hm. That's right. Two agents, all the time, at a very discrete distance. I don't care how big your gun is, y'hear?"

Joe picked up his phone as it rang. It was Kevin, so, naturally it had to be important.

"It's Joe."

When Kevin responded, he sounded frantic.

"There was something inserted in Caroline's ear. Young made an incision in her left ear canal, inserted a token for a kids ride from a place called Hillside Park."

Joe stayed quiet for a moment before hanging up and whispering, "My son plays there every day after school..."

Scott turned on the sirens as Joe sped there, weaving through the crazy traffic.

Scott tried to follow Joe's running pace to the merry-go-round, but he was in panic mode so there was no calming him down until they found Parker. Alive.

"Rose?! Rose , where's Parker?!" Joe asked as he stopped with a skid at his son's nanny.

"On the merry-go-round, Mr. Hobbs! He was just there, I swear!" the nanny replied.

Scott and Joe instantly hopped the gate and got onto the moving ride, calling Parker's name. At last, Scott spotted him at the ice cream stand and pointed.

"Joe! Joe he's over there!" Scott yelled, and within instants, Joe was off the ride and kneeling in front of his young son, only age six.

"Daddy! Look! A man bought me ice cream!" Parker said ecstatically before Joe whacked it out of his hands and on the ground. "But, daddy, that was my favorite!"

"I'll get you another one, okay? Just listen to me. What did this man look like?"

"I dunno, just a man! He said he was your friend!"