BONES AU Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

Doctor Scott Hoying, forensic anthropologist among other things, entered the familiar Jeffersonian Institute in Washington D. C. He had worked there for a year and a half, had a new work partner and an intern. Not as exciting as the Congo, Egypt or any of the other places he had studied, but this was slowly becoming home. Scary thought.

He proceeded up onto the platform impatiently.

"Where are my bones?" he asked whoever was listening.

"Calm down, Bones, they're on their way. Not their fault you made me drive here twenty miles above the limit and have to pack up your remains." Joe said as he walked up the stairs after him. "Probably won't be another two hours"

"Ugh. Should we talk to Elliot's wife, then?" He asked.

"Sure." Joe responded, clearly annoyed that they had driven all the way there and now were leaving but he called the bureau to tell them they needed to bring in Elliot's wife. Or, more accurately, ex-wife as they were about to learn.

They arrived at the F. B. I. headquarters and went to Joe's office to see Caroline, Elliot's ex-wife waiting for them.

"Do you two mind telling me why I'm here?" Caroline asked, irritated.

"Mrs. Young, your husband has escaped prison" Scott said with no empathy as he sat down.

"Well, I mean, that's one way to break the news" Joe mumbled as he, too, sat at his desk and put his feet up, nudging the bobble head and smiled.

"That notorious man is no longer my husband. I thought I could help Elliot. I really did. But he only used me, so I filed for a divorce. The judge signed the papers six months ago. I haven't spoken to Elliot since." Caroline huffed.

Joe raised an eyebrow. "Well, either way, I'd like to put you in special protection at all times before this is over."

"That will not be necessary." Caroline responded.

"Caroline, you could be in danger." Scott input.

"Thanks for the cold hearted concern, Dr. Hoying, but I think I'll be fine. I changed my name, my number, my apartment above a Thai place, even got a new boyfriend." The serial killer's ex-wife retorted. "Plus, I'm not even his type, remember? He likes young blondes, both things I am not."

"look, we could find you, therefore, this psycho can too. But if you really won't take it, that's fine by me. You're free to go." Joe said in an unconcerned tone before she left. This would be the last time they saw her. Alive, anyways.

"Wh- Bu- Joe! She could be in danger!" Scott practically yelled after the door slammed shut.

"I'll have local police drive by every few hours to make sure she's okay. But, speaking of danger, you aren't going anywhere alone."

"Excuse me?!"

"You're everything Young hates, Bones."

"Which is...?"

"Look, you figured him out last time. You out smarted him, made him feel inferior. He can't stand not being on top of the game. You and Elliot, okay? It's personal."

Scott gave him a rebellious look, but stayed quiet. He gave up because he knew Joe wouldn't.

"Okay, what've we got, guys?" Kevin asked as he walked onto the platform where the remains and the other specialists were. Kevin was the leading pathologist and basically everyone's boss at the forensic wing of the Jeffersonian. To be specific as to who he was asking about the remains, that'd be Doctor Max MacDunagh (entomologist), Mitch Grassi (forensic artist), and Kirstie Maldonado (Scott's intern from earlier). They were circled around the remains, but not actually talking about them. Instead, they were talking about the article they had all been featured in about their last case and it's victory.

"You look short." Kirstie commented to Mitch.

"Yea, well, they said you were a soulless robot" he retorted.

"They also said I was 'extremely intelligent'" Kirstie mumbled back. Mitch ignored this and turned to Max, having to look up to him.

"Did you really call me the heart of the operation?"

"Yeth, it thaid tho right there." Max said as he pointed to the line.

"Well, at least you didn't call me short." Mitch said with a mocking smile pointed towards Kirstie.

"I liketh short guyth. They haveth more leverageth." Max responded with a shrug. Mitch giggled.

"Yea, so I'm uncomfortable now." Kirstie said as she looked back the remains. "And, since no-one answered Dr. Osolusa's question, I guess I will. A blow to the head rendered him unconscious. He was then set on fire, along with, of course, the pre-mortem break of the ulna. All other injuries were caused by the fire and cannot be determined pre or post mortem."

"Thank you, Kirstin. Glad to see someone is taking an interest in the case" Kevin said in a sour tone before taking the article from Mitch. "Sorry to interrupt your fifteen minutes of fame, we have a psycho on the loose to catch, people."

"I alreadyth did my jobth. The athelerant was dithilled alcohol." Max said in an unconcerned tone.

"Yea, and I already identified him as a certain Randy Giles." Mitch added as he brought up the victim's public file and picture. "I also saved you the trouble of informing the family."

"Good. Good good good. Keep it up." Kevin approved as he walked off the platform to his office and looking at the article, mumbling. "Damn do I photograph well..."