Chapter 40: If only we could go back in time

Sophie's P.O.V:

Everything suddenly seemed like a lie, my entire existence meaningless. What did I do to deserve all this? How could I be so gullible and let my guards down and trust them, I think i loved them. And now... I want this nightmare over.

Death, horror, terror, everything bad clouded my mind. Screams, cries, tears, wounds. I pressed my eyes closed hoping to let my visions change, get the horrifying memories that played out for my eyes away. The screams were the worst. I covered my ears. But it wouldn't stop.

Some of it was memories, some of it might not be. But all of it so gruesome I can't tell it apart. My moms cries was the worst, she was screaming at me - us, to run. It is dark and there is a fire in the distance. Mom is a sobbing mess, she is covered in blood, and has a cut down her lips. It is my fault. No one says it, but I feel it in my heart. Guilt. I did something bad. I am bad. I am no good. I am a failure. I am the reason they are suffering. I am to blame.

"Shhh" Xander sat on the ground beside me and pulled me into a hug. I put my arms around his neck and cried into his shirt. Lost him or not, I need him.  I need his comfort.

He stood up and lifted me up in his arms and sat down with me on his lap. "Shh, sweety" he stroked my hair away from my face and wiped my cheeks. My cries turned into hiccups, my eyes too sore and a headache coming up from crying so much.

"Sophie, i'm sorry for whatever we did, I am not sure I really understand what is going on, but we would never ever hurt you" Xander's eyes were puffy and red, he had also been crying it seemed.

I hid my face in his shirt, honestly I did believe his words, but it is still hard for me to believe that kindness still exists in people. All my life I have only had my family.

Xander put his hands on my cheeks and lifted it gently so we were eye to eye. "Sophie, please tell me, i beg you". But how do you even answer that?

"You are the reason we run" I said with teary eyes. Xander shook his head "we were chasing vampires sweety, we can easily tell them apart" why is he saying that? "the question is why they were chasing you". Chased by vampires?

*

Jeremy's P.O.V:

Rage. Why on earth would vampires be after our mate.. and even stranger a human family. What would they get out of that? what makes them special. There is no way they would have known Sophie is our mate before us. That is not possible. At all. So the question is, why them?

I wanted so bad to go in there, but mostly i wanted to rip the head of a bloodsucker.

'We found her mom and sister' Just the news i needed 'We are taking them to the pack now'. To find out what is going on we need to talk to someone who might know, her mother. She must have known why they were running away and what they were running from. I want answers, I need them. To save my mate, i need to know what we are fighting and why.

With Xander and Jessie everything was so easy. We found each other and all lovey-dovey up until now. of course I don't blame Sophie anything. I am just so mad that she had to go through all this, why weren't we there to save her? never ever will i blame her for any of this!! out of the question.

Chicago, they already made it to Chicago. Leaving Sophie as if she wasn't around anymore. It scares me how easy they just let her go. Not that I wanted to fight them, but just thinking how they just accept a loss without having any idea of how she is, and who she is with and if she is safe or not, they left her.

What if it weren't us who found her first, but they did or someone else? I grabbed the nearest object which happened to be my phone and threw it into the wall leaving a mark. A gasp got me out of me trance and made me do a 180 twist to see Jessie in the door.

Jessie looked like she would flee, this affected all of us. But she is more sensitive and doesn't use anger to let go, she keeps it inside. I walked to her and pulled her into my arms and finally I heard her muffled sobs into my shirt. Not that i liked to hear my mate cry, ever. But she needs this, she needs to let go.

"It'll be alright" I held so close to me,  felt the wetness on my shirt and just held her closer, one hand on her back and the other brushing her hair gently. "She isn't going anywhere" I assured her. Those words, as much as she needed to hear them, so did I.

"What if we hadn't fou...". "Stop, we found her, stop thinking like that" I interrupted Jessie "We found her, and she is safe here, and she stays here with us, no bloodsucker is coming here, I wouldn't let anyone put a finger on my mates, understood?" I pushed her away from me gently, still holding on to her, but i needed to look in her eyes, to make sure that she understood. I needed to know she understood the message.

"Don't think like that okay, everything is okay, she is just a little confused, and I don't blame her, she has had a hard time, she is trying to open up to us, and when she does, everything will be okay, everything will be back to normal".

She hid again in my shirt and my arms automatically started to comfort her. "They found her family, they are on their way, then everything will work out, okay? soon my love". They will be here in a few hours, a part of me wanted to be nice and polite to my mother-in-law and sister-in-law. But a bigger part of me wanted to confront her for leaving her kid behind and letting her go through all of this.

If only we had met her earlier.

*