Chapter 24--To Kill or Not to Kill, That is the Question

Start from the beginning

            “Um, sure.” Gabby tucked a curl behind her ear and leaned forward. She would worry about what to tell him—or if she would tell him later. “How about this book? We haven’t looked at it yet.” She pulled the dustiest book from the bottom of the stack. The cover crackled as she opened it.

            The stories in this book were much stranger. Girls getting their hands cut off, and people being hit very hard on the head.

            “We could add this one to our list,” said Will.

            “Which one? Hit you with a rock or drop you from a tower?” Gabby grimaced. “I don’t think either of those are very good ideas.” The thought of it made her feel ill.

            “Both. Either.” His voice sounded a little unsure. “I mean, it looks like it’s just some kind of really hard impact that makes the transformation.”

            “Yeah, but how hard does it have to be? Dropping you from a tower—“

            “I don’t know. If it causes a magical transformation, I don’t think it would kill me.”

            “You don’t think it could kill you? That’s not very reassuring.”

            “Well,” his voice got very quiet, “What do I have to lose?”

            Gabby drew a sharp breath. “Don’t say that! You have everything to lose!” She stood up, nearly knocking her chair backward.

            “Like what?” his voice rose in volume. “I have already lost my family, my friends, and my birthright. I am a frog.”

            She crossed her arms tightly in front of her chest and squeezed her eyes closed as if to shut out his words.

            Will continued, his voice rising. “I’ve looked for a solution for years and I’m running out of time. What does it matter then if I don’t die while trying to transform, if I’m only going to die at the hands of some little boy a week later?”

“Please,” Gabby whispered. “I can’t.”

“Just put it on the list. We don’t have to try it until we’re out of options.”

“No!”

The door opened just then and Acantha waltzed in. “Dear me,” she said, as though their voices hadn’t been ringing down the hallway. “I hope I’m not interrupting.”

“You were,” said Gabby, looking at Will, “but I think we were about finished anyway.” She put down her quill and dusted off her hands, then she smoothed the front of her dress and moved toward the door. “I would like some time alone. I will return when I’m ready.”

Before Acantha or Will could respond, she’d exited the rooms. The soft clacking of her slippers disappeared down the corridor with her.

Will had been pacing for an hour. After Gabby had left, their kiss had replayed in his head until he thought he would start shouting. It had been exhilarating and horrifying. To have his stiff lips meet Gabby’s soft, pink lips jolted him with an aching reminder of what he was trying to regain, and the echoes of his inadequacy as a frog taunted him. This silly infatuation was burning his insides and instead of dying out, the flames grew hotter the more he tried to crush them.

Perhaps this was why the witch had told him to find a princess. Maybe it wasn’t to find a cure, but so that his torture and her triumph would be complete.

Frog Meets GirlOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara