45. Twilight in February

Start from the beginning

"I blamed myself whenever Matthew longed for his parents and siblings.

"I only got out of the condemnation I had for myself when I realised that whatever happened in the past was my fate. I couldn't change it, no matter what.

"However..."
He points at Kathleen through his gaze and says,
"I could either sit idly and see the curse devouer my descendents in front of my eyes or I could have sought a way out, a way out of this labyrinth.

"It was my choice to do whatever I could in my power to rebound this curse.

"The choices we make consciously forge our destiny. My destiny became gathering information about this entire debacle and to get you all together to stop innocent souls from tarnishing.

"That is only because family and friendship is worth it."

He stops talking, as he surveys the room. His hands shake but he quickly hides them.  The icy strike of silence clashes everywhere as Henry's expression turns slightly darker.
"Heed my words for the journey ahead is marred with woe, sorrow and sacrifice:

"Vows shall be tested,

Bonds shall be questioned,

Friendships shall be challenged,

For one has to toll through East of Eden before reaching the gardens of heaven."

Lightning cackles through the walls of the manor as everyone snaps their heads towards it. A window blares open, making Ethan look out of it. His eyes widen.
"This storm's only around here. The rest of the area is clear."

Narrowing my eyes, I look out too, only to regret it.
The manor's encircled in between a storm, while the rest of the area is clear.

Henry slumps down on a nearby, while Kathy puts a hand on his shoulder.
"Pass it to me, the enchantment."

He shakes his head.
"No, it is fine--"

Allison and Dylan look in between the ghosts and then their siblings.

"I'm not a kid anymore.
You may be older, but I can hold the enchantment," Kathy says with a voice like ice and yet warm like fire.
"Dad please."

Dad?

"He raised me like a father here."

Henry looks up, scanning all the inhabitants till he sighs at Kathy.
"No, you are not."
He pulls out a hand and Kathy takes it. A yellow glow emanates from it.

A door forms from behind the piano, as Ethan whispers, "Holy shit."

I slowly turn my head from the window with blackened clouds and stare at my sister who only pleads to everyone as she says,
"Please, the storm's a sign.
You all have to go back now.
There's a door hidden behind the piano that will lead you back to Edenfield."

"What about the light that always comes out of the journal?" Dylan asks.

"That won't work this time. C'mon, off you go!" Kathleen jerks her hand while Allison grabs Ethan's stunned figure and moves him towards the behind of the piano. Ethan looks back at me before tapping on the wall and a door erupts out of it.

Allison pushes him and herself through it but not before mouthing C'mon, you lazy arses.

Dylan waits for me to go first, resolutely. If only he'd say something, as well. He blinks rapidly as Henry suddenly says,
"Meredith had your letters. It wasn't her fault, Dylan.
They are where the journal was."

Before I can understand what Henry is telling, Gem pulls at my trousers and urges me to move forward.
"All right, I'm going!" I say as I hold on to the waist of my slacks and tread slowly towards the door while stealing a glance at Kathleen and Henry. Dylan only moves due to the urgency to my side.

My mouth moves on its accord as I am pulled through the vortex of the misty door:
"What if I never see you again!"

Kathleen shouts from the other side as a grandfather clock somewhere inside strikes five times, like the time when Matthew first left Edenfield:

"Just remember there'll always be twilight in February!"

Hello, lovely people who are reading this! How are you?

Here is this week's update :)

In this chapter, we finally got to know what Meredith did to the modern Ingrams and what happened to everyone of 1890 after Henry's death.

As you can see that there some foreshadowing from way back C17 'The Ghost's Story' along with C40 'Glass Castle'. There might be some of that in this chapter, as well.

Thank you all for reading so much. I greatly appreciate it. As always, votes and comments are welcomed with Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans ;)

The picture above isn't exactly like the piano I had in mind but it definitely gives a creepy vibe which I really adored and needed for this chapter.

This chapter is dedicated to Ange_Ackerman who is a absolutely fantastic person, along with writer.
If you enjoy fantasy, historical fiction and the classics all together then be sure to check out her book 'Of Thorns and Teeth'. It's recently been completed and so, you won't have to wait for an update :)

All right, now to this week's question:

What do you think about the poem Henry recited? What's all this talk about 'toll through East of Eden'?

Have a wonderful week!

Love,
MS Zame