45. Twilight in February

Start from the beginning

Allison looks back and forth at everyone before glancing at Henry with a finger at the tip of her lips.
"But there are still only two siblings."

"Mr Ingram has only one sister, for now."

"What?" Ethan says just as Allison speaks at the same time,
"But you loved-love Evanna so does that mean that Dylan will either..."

Dylan widens his eyes at Allison while Ethan's mouth hangs as he understands the insinuation. My brother immediately steps away from the blonde while I continue blinking.

He notices Ethan's expression and flails his arms about as he says:
"I am not a paedophile, mate!"

"You better not be!" Ethan spontaneously says to which Dylan only holds up his hands solemnly.

Meanwhile, Kathleen burts into laughter with her hands clutching her stomach, even Henry allows himself a smile.

Kathleen wipes a tear of laughter with her fingers as she says:
"You really remind me of myself, Allison. I'd have said that if I was you."
Allison only sheepishly smiles.

Kathy supports her cheek with an enclosed palm. She laughs,
"Hey, don't worry. At least, you're still free to date.
Henry doesn't let me date neither mortal guys and girls."

Allison quips up at the latter part.
"Sorry, but guys and girls?"

Kathy tilts her head and nods.
After a second, they both high five each other.

Henry rolls his eyes.
"I don't worry for you; I worry for the poor soul who finds out their lover is, in fact, a ghost.
I don't disallow any ghosts."

"But ghosts my age are rare!
You have it easy since they're mostly from the nineteenth century!"

"That is not my sorrow to deal with."
Henry only playfully shakes his head as he says,
"Coming back to the main topic: I can asure you that the curse may work in strange ways but it certainly does not determine whom you develop affections for. Though, I cannot guarantee if anyone does develop the same sentiments..."
He rubs his chin and gives me a nod.

All right...

Ethan visibly sighs in relief as Dylan also eases his hardcovered posture. Allison turns towards me with a penitent smile. I only shake my head at her, only realising my action after I have done it.

The quiet dog near my feet stares at me with starry eyes. My leg moves to lie directly at Gem's side and the dog quickly embraces it with furry paws.

One arm of mine is enclapsed around my stomach like a belt while the other is behind my neck. My voice comes out as a murmur, rather than for it to attract conversation:
"What is fate and destiny..."

Henry is the only one who seems to have heard my mumbling as his eyes soften and his brows furrow,
"Sometimes, determining that difference is the most difficult."

Everyone else looks at him as to what he is talking about his ignores everyone else and focuses only on me.

"I will not expect of you the difference suddenly but only steadily.
It took me years to decipher that understand that.

"I blamed myself for what happened to my family and what might happen in the near future.
I blamed myself when I saw Timothy married to someone, other than my sister, because his parents wanted to continue the bloodline.
I blamed myself when Elizabeth ended her own life because she could no longer carry Edenfield's woes upon her shoulders.

"I blamed myself for the horrible gossip Matthew and Mathilda endured for living at Edenfield because of my will.

"I blamed myself when Evanna mourned for both her unborn-child and me, and whenever she fought with Uriah because of the grief.