How can you be?

After making love to one another, in no way anyone could, she lay pressed up against him. A heavy breath passed her lips, he kissed her temple "Happy twenty years-" "Yet I've never been so happy yet sad, apart from finding out I was pregnant with Miyah... Although I think this is worse Jacob." She looked, he placed his finger under her chin, kissing her delicately. "I love you." He spoke softly, "I love you too." He ran his thumb over her cheek. "What we doing tomorrow then?" He smiled, Connie shrugged "I don't want to do anything, but be here with you, Miyah and Emily... I've had twenty years with you, the girls need to spend time with you, they miss you." "I'm sorry Con." He looked down, she shook her head "I'm a grown woman, I can deal with it as much as it hurts... But they miss you so much Jay, Miyah the most." She exhaled, "Miyah remembers a time before all this, where it was the three of us looking after eachother, being happy... being a family. As much as this hurts Jacob Emily doesn't know that... two years of her life you waltz in to leave again." He wiped his eyes a little.

"I'm not saying you're a bad Dad Jacob, you're far from it, but how can you be the best you can when you aren't here." He sat himself up, going to walk away. He hated crying infront of her, she grabbed his arm as she sat up. "I- We still love you and we aren't going anywhere, but regardless if we were or weren't together the girls want their Dad." He lent into her chest sobbing, she snaked her arms around his neck, her hand resting on the back of his head. She looked up to the light, blinking her own tears back before pressing a tender kiss to his head. "Come on Muscles." She smiled, drying his eyes, he looked at her confused "We have two daughters to collect." She smiled once again.

"Daddy!" Emily screamed, racing over past her mother. Jacob lifted her up, squeezing her tightly, "Hey baby." He smiled. "It's been ages." She looked, "I know... I'm sorry." He looked sadly, she kissed his cheek "Cheer up daddy, we are making cakes and watching films tomorrow... Anyway, I forgive you." She smiled innocently. He simply kissed her head, "How long till you go away again?" She looked, "Um... I'm not too sure baby, but what would you say if I go away again for a little while but come back forever?" He smiled, "Really?!" She gasped, hugging him tightly "With me, Mummy and Miyah?" "Yeah, with my three favourite girls." She cupped his ear "I know I'm your favourite... but I won't tell anyone, especially not mummy." She whispered cheekily, causing him to laugh. "That's a yes then." She smiled folding her arms, looking just like Connie. He kissed her forehead, "I love you all the same." He added, "But me just a teeny weeny bit more?" She suggested, "No." He laughed, tickling her causing her to burst out into fits of laughter. Connie smiled "Come on you two." She laughed, "Mummy! Help!" Emily giggled as he continued to tickle her, "I have to drive." She smiled as Emily tried to wriggle down from him.

They drove to Miyah's school, Emily babbling on about her day. Parking on the road outside Connie looked at him, "Go on. She's not expecting any of us, so shout her." Connie smiled, he squeezed her thigh getting out the car standing by the path watching the floods of school kids leave. He saw her laughing and joking with her friends, a smile broke on his face. She came further down the path, he coughed before calling "Miyah!" He yelled, she paused looking up, instantly recognising his voice. She never spoke about her dad since she started high school, it only made her sad and it was easier not to mention him then to be asked hundreds of questions. She looked up seeing him, her friends looking back "Miyah come on." Charlotte laughed, she shook her head running forwards to him, leaping up just like her mother had earlier that day. He held her tightly hearing her begin to cry, "Dad... mum said-" She sobbed, "I lied to surprise her." He spoke softly, her friends looked watching quietly. "You're getting so big." He looked wiping her cheeks, she nodded "You're getting do old." She mumbled jokingly, he laughed "Less of the cheek-" "I learnt from the best." "Now I can't argue with that." She smiled "I miss you dad." He nodded "I know princess-" "Dad!" She yelled, "What?" He burrowed his brows "That's embarrassing." He laughed "Why? Is there someone you're trying impress?" He raised a brow, she pulled a face "No! Ew. All the boys here are ugly." Jacob laughed "Good because if you are, I need to meet them first." "Shut up." She laughed, hugging him tighter again "Dad?" She asked quietly "Yes?" "How many days are you back for?" He sighed "Nine." She nodded quietly, "But the next time I'm back I won't be going again." He spoke softly, she looked at him "You mean it?" She looked, he nodded smiling "Yeah... I'm sorry." "I love you dad." "But I love you-" "Most." She smiled hugging him tightly, "So I am led to believe by your monkey of a sister that we are making cakes and watching films tomorrow?" She nodded "Yeah... unless you and mum are going out?" He shook his head "Nope." He let her get down, waiting as she said bye to her friends before going back to the car with him.