Breaking News, Easing Worries (Established Future Relationship)

"Breathe. Just breathe" I murmur to myself trying to calm my nerves.

"It's going to be fine." The words did nothing to set me at ease.

I'd just received a call from my doctor, and you can only guess what the medic had to say.
"You're pregnant Krystle."

I knew this even before taking the test, but maybe I was hoping to be wrong, that taking a professional test would somehow change the result. Not that I don't want kids, I do, but I'm just not sure if I'm ready. I've only been a wife for half a year, and I still don't know if I'm a good one. How am I to know if I'm ready to be a mother? What do I know about disciplining a person? Would I make good decisions for my child? Or would I make every wrong move? How do I take on the responsibility of another human being fully dependent on me to guide, nurture and raise them? Am I mature enough for this?

No Krystle, it doesn't matter if you think you're ready or mature enough, because you'll have to be. This is happening.
Shaking my head I begin to make plans.
I'll take time off from work, from anything that will be a hindrance to my role as a mother.
It will be hard for me because for as long as I can remember I've been a working woman in this demanding industry, but, my child now takes precedence over everything, even my attachment to my working life.

I'll have to begin spending and saving money differently. I've never been one to excessively waste my income, but leisure spending will have to be adjusted. Our money is now apart of the stability, growth, and future of a child.

I--oh gosh... is HE ready? Would he want a child now? I know he would love our child with all his heart, but I can't help but worry about his reaction to the news that our parental reality is starting now, at a time that we didn't plan. He will have equal authority in the raising of our child, but is he ready for this responsibility, or will he come to slightly resent the unexpected burden?

All this worrying was making my head spin. I take a seat on the couch and rub my temples.

"It's fine. We'll be fine." My hands find their way to rest on my stomach.
This is happening.

"What's happening?"

"Oh my gosh Karan! You scared me!" I clutch my racing heart. How did I not hear the front door opening? And how did he know what I was thinking?

"Because you said it out loud." He laughs while leaning against the arch of the living room entry way.

"Would you stop that? It's invasion of privacy."

"So hearing and repeating words said out loud by my wife in the living room of our home is invasion of privacy?"

"Well when you say it like that it doesn't make sense." I pout.

"It doesn't make sense period." Pushing off the arch he made his way over to the couch and sits next to me. Except he couldn't leave it at that. As always, Karan has no regard for my personal space so he grabs hold of my waist and lifts me onto his lap, so that I'm straddling him. But I'm not complaining.

A kiss is placed at the corner of my lips then on my jaw. He pulls back and grins cheekily.
"Hi Mrs. Tacker"

He still makes me blush. Why do I still blush? It's embarrassing.

"So what's happening?"
And just like that I'm back to worrying. I tense in his arms and look away. How do I tell him? Do I just blurt it out? Do I use analogies?
I feel myself fidgeting but it can't be helped.

"Krystle? What's wrong. Look at me." I look on instinct.
I feel his right thumb rubbing small circles in my waist and his left hand clutching my thigh. It's calms me and my fidgeting eases.

"What's happening Krystle?" The worry in his eyes is clear, I don't like it. Taking his head into hands, I place a small kiss on his lips.

"Don't freak out please. If you have any ill feelings towards what I'm about to tell you, even if it's hesitance, please tell me. I can't be left to wonder. It will eat me alive wondering if you resent me or our situation."

"Resent you? Krystle what is going on?"

"I'm pregnant. I know we didn't plan for this to happen now. We have no preparations in place for this new chapter of our lives. And I know your career is at a major peak right now. I just......there's nothing we can do. This is happening." I wait for his response but all I get is an open mouth and bulging eyes. And he's not moving. Great. I made my husband into a human fish statue. Maybe he needs a moment to himself.

"I'll just give you some space. I understand that you might need some time to yourself." I make a move to climb off his lap but I'm stopped by a hand holding me down.

"Pregnant. You're pregnant."

"Yeah. I am."

"You thought I would resent you for that?" There was absolute confusion in his voice.

"I mean..... I-I thought maybe a piece of you wouldn't like that this is happening now. You didn't plan for this, it's sudden, and you didn't get any time to sort out how it would fit into your career, your life. I don't want us to burden you or cause you to have to make sacrifices that will leave you unhappy or even a little dissatisfied." Tears were beginning to form so I tilted my head away and averted my eyes.

"Krystle," he gently cupped my face and eased my head back to facing him, "look at me".

"First of all. My career has never been my first priority, and when I fell in love with you it moved down the list even further because you took first place. As parents to be, I think you'll agree that our number one priority is now this child. I don't need to plan how to "fit" him into my life because he has become my life. And never think that you and this new addition will be a burden on me........I find my joy in you Krystle, I find my peace in you. And now you've given me the greatest gift next to your love.... a family. Any sacrifice will be a pleasure to make if it helps our family life to be more secure and helps me to be the best father I can be. So really they wouldn't really be sacrifices." He wipes the tears flowing down my face and leans in to whisper "I love you" before capturing my lips.

The kiss makes me cry even more. I can almost taste his devotion and his love. I got lost in the dance of tongue and teeth, each used to convey a new promise, a new commitment.
He breaks contact slowly, almost as if it hurts him to do so.
I look into his eyes and begin to thread my fingers through his hair.

"So 'he' huh?"
Oh I didn't miss the gender slip.

"I have a feeling."

"And if you're wrong?"

"Well then I'm sure she'll have a pouting problem like you and I'll love her all the same."

"Good." I rested my head on his shoulders and yawned.

"But I'm pretty sure that I'm right."

~~~
He was right.
And Nikil Viren Tacker, asleep and snuggled up on my chest like he owned it, had no regard for my personal space. Wonder who he got that from.