xxxvi || house of friendship

Start from the beginning

The first riddle was written around the head of the cross, it read: A concealed space down below,  underneath the powerful King of Gods, not so easy to obtain, the first touch might not end with life.

The second riddle was in the left of the cross, it read: Happy? Sad? Experience both here, beneath the faces you'll find all.

The third riddle was in the right of the cross, it read: You can see what's going on, take a peek through the hole to know all.

The fourth and final riddle was at the base of the cross, it read: Seek my base? You know where to look, all the answers are in a book.

****

Sibuna sat in the living room, quietly chatting about the Ankh Cross, due to the fact that Jerome was in the kitchen and they didn't want him overhearing them.

Jerome kept on glancing up at the four of them, occasionally he made eye contact with Joy. He forced a smile whenever this happened, Joy, however, just rolled her eyes or immediately dropped the eye contact.

Jerome huffed, placed down the butter knife he was holding, then walked up to them.  He then grabbed hold of Patricia's arm and pulled her out of the room.

"Ow, ow, ow," Patricia stated, as she caught her feet.

Jerome then pulled her into his room and shut the door, "Joy has been giving me loads of weird looks, I think she knows."

"I know she knows," Patricia stated.

Jerome's face grew a little scared and nervous, "How does she know?"

"Eddie spilt," Patricia huffed, sitting down on his bed.

"Stupid American," Jerome laughed. Patricia laughed, too.

"Here's a thought," Patricia started, sliding herself back on Jerome's bed, so she could lean back against the wall, "Confront Joy, instead of hiding behind me."

Jerome scoffed, "I'm not hiding behind you."

"You pulled me off the sofa (which hurt by the way), when you could have pulled Joy up," Patricia told him.

"What if she doesn't come with me, or doesn't want to talk, or-" he cut himself off, then turned his tone less rant induced to sweeter, "Hey, Patricia, you know how you and I are super close..."

"Get her yourself, Jerome," Patricia rolled her eyes.

"Come on, please," Jerome dropped to his knees.

Patricia stood up and walked to the door, "She'll appreciate it more if you do it yourself," she stated, before leaving.

Slowly, Patricia walked back into the living room, she wasn't looking at either Eddie or Joy, but she could feel them glaring at her.

"Everything okay?" Joy asked.

"Mm-hmm," Patricia nodded, sitting down.

"So, what did Jerome want?" Joy asked, trying to sound genuinely curious instead of jealous.

"You know... uh, to... ask how I found the history test," Patricia lied on the spot.

Joy stood up, "I'm going to bed."

"Me, too," Eddie nodded, standing up and following Joy out. Fabian just shuffled out after Eddie without saying anything.

Patricia huffed, before falling back on the sofa, "This is such a mess."

****

In the morning, everyone sat in at the breakfast table, silence loomed over them. The friendships in the house currently weren't the strongest.

"We're all very quiet this morning," Fleur stated, acknowledging the silence in the air, "Is everything okay?"

There were an array of nods and murmurs of responses.

"So, Fabes, Eddie, want to head over to college?" Joy asked sweetly, standing up.

Fabian and Eddie both nodded, before following her out.

"What's going on?" Mara asked Patricia in a whisper.

"Too much," Patricia huffed.

****

"Hey," Eddie spoke hesitantly, as he and Joy joined Patricia by her locker.

Patricia took out her history book and history notes, before shutting her locker and acknowledging Eddie and Joy, "Okay, look," she began, "I honestly have no clue what is going on, and I don't exactly know why I'm being penalised, because I have done nothing wrong, okay? Nothing. If you really want to let this tear our friendship," she looked to Joy, "and our relationship," she turned to Eddie, "Then fine, play it that way, just know that I am not to blame for anything here."

Joy was a little taken aback by Patricia's speech, but nevertheless, it didn't stop her from the point that she came over to make, "Patricia, if you know this, then I want you to be honest with me," she started, "Is Jerome doing what his doing because he still likes me and wants to make me jealous, or because he's over me and likes you?"

"Eww, Jerome doesn't like me," Patricia remarked.

"Then the reasoning behind it?" Joy asked.

"He tried to kiss me and I really don't know why that was, okay? Then, what you saw when we got back from the library was him asking for my help to get you back. Nothing was supposed to come across the way it did. That day was a big mess full of misconceptions, so can we just forget about it?"

"Does that mean that he still likes me?" Joy asked.

Patricia nodded, "And if he didn't, then I would hurt him."

"I'm sorry, Patricia," Joy smiled softly, before hugging her. Patricia hugged back, "I'll see you in history," she added, before walking off in the direction of the history classroom.

"So...?" Patricia leant gently against her locker and looked to Eddie.

Eddie rolled his eyes at Patricia and lightly chuckled, "I'm sorry, too."

"Thank you," Patricia smiled.

"I can feel you taking too much pride from this," Eddie looked to her.

"Nah," Patricia laughed, "No. Wait. Yes, I am."

Eddie rolled his eyes, "Cute," he chuckled, before leaning in closer to Patricia. Patricia smiled, before interlocking lips with Eddie. He kissed back.

****

Vincent sketched down the riddles that he saw down in the cellar.

"What do you mean?" he mumbled, looking down at the four riddles written in his notepad, "What do you mean?" he asked a little more slowly.

****

Suddenly, in the middle of history, Fabian's phone let out a small vibrate. Discretely, he looked down at it, hiding it under the desk, to try and stop Mr. Hevery from seeing it.

A message from Jasper popped up, it read, 'Have done research. The Ankh Cross is real, but Ankh likes to split, so don't expect to find it all in one part.'

[Hello! Sorry about the riddles, I'm pretty awful at making them up. Also, this is quite a short chapter, so sorry about that, too. So...

Any clue what the riddles may mean?

What does Jasper's text mean?

Will Jerome speak to Joy/Joy speak to Jerome?

All I can think of. See you in the next chapter. Byeee ^_^]