1- Nightmare

Adithi's POV:

Appa walked to me with a wide smile. I smiled back at him but my heart felt heavy. Hearing a weird noise, I looked around. A truck emerged out of nowhere and approached him. 'Appa,' I screamed. But he stood rooted. 

The smile on his face was now gone. When I decided to run toward him, someone held me back. 'You cannot save him,' I heard that person speak from my back. 'Appa,' I screamed again. 'You're the reason for everything,' he spoke again. 

The truck hit Appa the next second. I woke up with a gasp. It's not true. It's not true. I am not the reason. I am not the reason for his death. When I grabbed the water bottle from the table, I saw our family photo. 'I was not the reason, Appa,' I touched it as tears wetted my cheeks. 

I wiped my tears and drank some water. But I am the reason that you're not here, Appa. I shouldn't have let him snatch you from me. It's all my mistake. I lay back down with a deep sigh. I tossed unable to sleep. I switched on some relaxing music and closed my eyes hoping to sleep.

If not for the alarm, I wouldn't have woken from sleep. But today is not the day to feel sleepy. I have a lot of work to do. I stretched my hands and back as I rose from the bed. I walked to the balcony and took a deep breath.

After my morning routine, I went to the kitchen to make coffee. Amma was a coffee person and she used to make the best coffee in the world. I smiled as I walked to the kitchen balcony. The sun was slowly coming up driving all the darkness away. I watered the plants. 

There were a few rose buds. And one in full bloom. They reminded me of Kartika. She set up all this to cheer me up. 'Have a great day,' I smiled looking at all the plants. They can sense positivity in some way. And I need to be positive today. Whatever happens, life has to go on somehow.

I got ready and looked at myself in the mirror. I felt confident. My phone rang. It was Kartika. 'Good morning, Adithi,' she addressed excitedly. 'Happy morning, Karti. I was thinking about you earlier,' I smiled turning away from the mirror. 

'I know you will. I don't want to take your time. So let me come to the point. All the best for the interview,' she said. 'Thank you so much. I feel like it will go good,' I replied. 'Of course, it will. Go get it, girl,' I could feel her smile. 'Ok. I will call you once it's over,' I said. 

'Love you,' she uttered. 'Love you too,' I hung up the call. I shouldn't be late today. I turned back to the mirror and sighed. The little box on the table captured my attention. I opened it and took out Amma's chain. I haven't worn this for almost two years. I wore the chain with a smile. 

Somehow I felt like they are still with me. I walked out to the living room and lighted up diya in front of the gods. 'I trust you all,' I prayed. I ate my breakfast and left to meet Mother Grace. Yet another important person in my life right now. She stood by me always. 

And I cannot leave without her blessings. I walked through the neat aisle of Gospel Orphanage. Appa and Amma always felt happy coming here, playing with the kids, and conversing with them. I saw Mother talking with other sisters. I walked to her with a smile. 

'Good morning dear,' she smiled as soon as she saw me. 'Good morning, Mother,' I gave into a hug. 'I want your blessings as I have my interview today,' I parted from her. 'I have almost forgotten about it, dear. May the Lord bless you with all the happiness,' she blessed me. 

'I don't think I will ever be happy again, Mother. Life should hold a purpose. Mine doesn't,' I tried to smile but failed. 'Everyone's life has a purpose, Adithi. Realizations happen at different times. Yours have a purpose too. You will realize it soon,' she replied optimistically.