Reading

I couldn't focus on the stupid book we had to read for English, because SOMEONE (aka Hayes Grier) kept moving around, whispering, kicking his desk, and cracking his knuckles in the otherwise silent classroom. He and his friends are ALWAYS this disruptive.
"Mr. Grier, if you do not settle down and read quietly you will have detention." The teacher says loudly, making me jump hard.
"Sorry." He mumbles. I finish the chapter, before the bell rings. I shove my book in my bag, then grab it and head for the door. I'm walking down the hallway when a senior randomly shoves me into the wall.
"Get out of my way, loser!"
"Hey! Leave her alone!" I hear Hayes yell at him.
"What are you gonna do about it?!" He taunts.
"Hayes!" I hear another senior yell, running up to the situation, where Hayes is between me and this kid.
"Cameron! Nash!" Hayes practically sighs with relief.
"What's going on here?" The one who looks like Hayes asks.
"He shoved her." Hayes accuses, before turning and offering me a hand.
He helps me up, sheltering me from the yelling that ensues. Soon, teachers get involved.
"GET HER OUT OF HERE HAYES!" His brother yells, and Hayes drags me out of there.
Three months later, and Hayes gets into a fistfight with the same guy who shoved me. From that day on, he protects me in school, and every time I feel uneasy or unsure, he's right there protecting me.