Chapter 9: Truth or Dare Pt. 1

As my eyes drifted across the hellish basement, I could see and read everyone's defeated faces. Everyone in this room has a dirty secret of their own and I am pretty sure the old man already knew. He just wanted to disband us, reveal things that I supposed to left unrevealed. The only thing I was worried about were my remaining friends. Dani and Kayla. Jason was gone. Far gone. 

"Alright," the old man exclaimed a while clasping his gnarled and bloody hands together, "Rules." He paused to allow suspense to creep in this foul room. "It's pretty simple. If you decide not to do the truth or dare then you die." Then he smiled. "And if you decide to go easy on one another then... well, let's just say this game will continue on to go longer. You could even be stuck here for the rest of your lives." I watched as the old man jumped up and down while letting out amusing giggles. "However, if you chose to go hard, then the game will end sooner."

But the real question was what was in store for us at the end of this game. Would we go back upstairs to play Mafia? Or will just kill us for the fun of it and hang us on the bloody meat hooks down here, forever?

"Okay, ready?" the old man wondered with glee. 

We all stood silent. Unable to let words leave our mouths.

"READY?!" he yelled to where the scream split my already weakened ear drums.

Everyone then responded with a fake delighted 'yes'. Or at least most of us.

"Alright, we'll start with Adam. Seeing he is the most dedicated to this game. It was him after all that broke the last one who played the game." The old man said with undoubtful delight.

We all avoided eye contact with Adam who was giving everyone a sinister smile, revealing flesh and skin stuck in his crackled, uneven teeth. However, our curiousity took over all of us and we were forced to take a peek. But, Kayla was the first.

"You!" Adam taunted to Kayla who was across the room from him. 

Everyone immediately revealed themselves into the limited light of the room in interest of seeing the unlucky victim. 

It was quiet.

"Me?" Kayla wondered. Her voice crackling as if she was going through a boy's puberty.

Adam then nodded sinisterly.

Poor Kayla. You could see it all over her face. The fear. The hate. The regret. 

Even though Kayla was the most open one of the group, she had a little of extreme dirty secrets that she would never tell. Unfortunately, one night Kayla and I snuck out after curfew to hit a private bar. She got drunk and told me everything. Her worries, her doubts, and even somethings that are better not spoken. 

"Truth or Dare?" Adam snarled.

Kayla sat silently twidling with her sweaty fingers. Chiping away the first layer of white nail polishing. I watch vigorlessly as each chipping fell to cold dirt floor.

At first I noticed her mouth the words truth, but stopped her self in time. She stared at Dani in fear. In fear of what she might think. But how was Adam supposed to know certain things. Kayla never really handled being on the spotlight. And when her life was on the line, she was even more convinced that she was going to die tonight.

"Dare."

How could she? Adam can make her do horridible things. Things you can't even imagine. can her secrets be that bad that she needs to sacrifice her entire humanity to it.

Adam seemed charmed by this and he waisted no time to respond to her choice. Her undoubtedly horridible choice.

"I dare you to," he looked at me and then to Dani and smiled, "bite off this young lady's finger."

He can't be serious. My heart sped up. He was asking Kayla to bite off Dani's finger. I think I was about to have a hard attack. Like my heart was beating out of my chest and the only way to make the pain stop was to rip it out. 

Kayla looked at Dani and gave her an apoligetic frown. Dani's eyes grew red and sobs start to pour out.

"No. Kayla, please!" Dani pleaded while she tried to hide away her hands,

"I'm sorry." Kayla spoke softly and started to crawl over to where Dani was. 

I wanted to do something. But my fear took control of my actions and kept me sitting, cowardly. 

Dani attempted to get up and run, but the old man gripped her by the shoulders and stood her to the ground. She screamed and squirmed.

I couldn't watch. But the last thing I saw was the old man forcefully holding out Dani's finger for Kayla to bite. 

As I cupped my ear aclose, I heard the faint scream of Dani's pain and Kayla's sobs. And at the end of that, a crack. Like someone taking a bite out of a carrot. Kayla has just down somthing horrible. Something she will never forget. 

Turning back to the scene, I see Kayla crawling back to her spot were she sat. Dani using her now dominant hand to grip her bleeding index finger or atleast what's left of it. Then in the middle of this stood her finger with a ring given by Brandon on it. 

I could hear Dani sobbing from across the room. But I was to coward to face her presence. Her pain. 

The old man just then got what he wanted. A disbanded unbreakable friendship. After this Dani wouldn't trust Kayla ever again. The friendship they've had since they were 10 was now gone. Buried under blood, pain, and death. Never to resurface again.

Kayla wiped her snotty nose and looked around the room. Her eyes passed me and locked unto Jason.

We all stood silent. Something changed in Kayla. Her humanity has changed. And as she narrowed her hateful eyes at Jason, she spoke the now most murderous words in this room.

"Jason," Kayla spoke out with a devilish grin and Dani's blood dripping from her mouth, "Truth or Dare?"