Chapter 5: First Game

The lights to the room flickered off. Everything pitch black. 

Scrambling to my feet, I pushed myself farther and farther away from anyone else.

I couldn't trust anyone.

I raced down a dark hallway and entered the first room I came upon. Once I found myself in the kitchen, I felt around for any unlocked cabinet that I could hide in. 

As I scurried into a cabinet, someone entered the kitchen. But luckily, I had already been hidden in the cabinet. I tried my best to level my breathing and keep quiet. Unfortunately, my anxiety overcame me. 

Hearing footsteps stop right in front of my cabinet, I struggled to keep myself still. The door creaked open and a silhouette figure emerged from the darkness of the kitchen. 

It was the third mysterious girl beside Katrina or Katrina's sister.

Was she the Mafia? 

I decided that I wasn't taking any chances. 

Before attempting to push her to the ground, she laid a finger over her lips. She raised her hand and stroked my cheek. I was overly confused. She climbed into the cabinet with me and closed the door behind her. I was too afraid to move. I could be stuck in a closed placed cabinet with a killer. Suddenly I felt her soft breath on my ear. I chill ran down my spine.

"I will save you," the girl whispered.

She was the angel and she is saving me. She could save herself and she saved me. She doesn't even know whether I am the Mafia or not.

Minutes passed and we both laid low. Quite and unnoticed. I only feared for my friends. Anyone of them could've been the Mafia and anyone of them could be the Mafia's target.  

On the final minute, I heard a scream. It sounded like Kayla. I was too anxious to leave the cabinet and come to her aid. But the mysterious girl stopped me. I shot her a deadly glare. Instead of glaring back, she gave me a soft frown and leaned in close to my ear. I didn't resist. Instead, I also leaned towards her.

"Have you noticed the lights have not come on?" The mysterious angel whispered softly into my ear.

I turned to meet her gaze and nodded. She leaned in closer once again and cleared her throat.

"The older boy, Adam. He's been here the longest. I believe he's the Mafia. He knows how to mimic others voices. That's how he draws his victims out." she spoke softly.

I took her advice and waited. The screams of different people like Jason, Samar, Brandon, or Dani rang out. But I didn't move a muscle. I wasn't going to reveal my hiding spot until the lights came on.

The girl and I were stuck in an awkward silence. But if we tried to speak out to one another then we would probably be heard. 

I identified the girl with strawberry blonde hair, freckles, and pale skin. She hadn't looked like she had killed anyone yet. Yet. And I knew exactly why she saved me. She waited to make an ally. Use me to check off one potential threat. But I don't blame her. I would do the exact thing. So I decide to go along with it. 

Suddenly the lights flicker on. We didn't notice it at first because of our lack of light in our hiding space. But when we did, it almost startled us. The girl was the first to crawl out. We had been in their cabinet for no more than 20 minutes. However, whoever had been the Mafia, but most likely Adam, the boy who stared at me before the game started, must've had some kind of difficulty killing their target. 

Pouring out of the claustrophobic tight spaced cabinet. I got to my feet and brushed the dust off my jeans. Finally getting a good look at the girl who was no taller than 5 foot, held out her hand to shake mine. 

"My name is Talia, what's yours?" she wondered with a smile on her face probably glad she survived the round.

I almost forgot to respond because of how anxious I was to see who was the Mafia and who died. But I felt a hole in my stomach. Maybe it was one of my friends?

Rudely, snapping her finger in front of my face, Talia looked for an answer.

"Oh, uh, Tyler?" I responded paying no attention to her. 

Walking out of her grip and out of the kitchen. I darted down the hallway and to the base of the staircase where everyone gathered. I tried to weave my way through everyone to see who was the victim. It was a boy. Looking to the boy's hand to see blood. I realized that this boy was the boy who was pointed out by the old man. I guess it was true if you were noticed you would be a target.

But who was the Mafia?

Nearly jumping clear of my feet, I was startled by a hand being placed on my shoulder. Whipping my head around to see Samar. She doesn't wear her usual happy expression. Was she the Mafia?

Most likely noticing my sudden suspiciousness. Samar clears my thought.

"Oh, I wasn't the Mafia," Samar established and then raised an eyebrow, "But I have a pretty good idea who." She opened up and revealed the living room. In the far corner of the living room sat Adam. He twirled a kitchen knife in his hand and looked up at me. Stepping back as if he is about to charge at me, Adam sinisterly smiles and reveals blood and flesh in his teeth. I then whirl around to see the bloody-handed boy's dead body to see part of the boy's neck was ripped out.

Did Adam eat him?

Suddenly, the old man comes skipping into the room.

His eyes look surprised to see the bloody-handed boy's body. He must've thought someone else would be the target. 

"That's a shame. I liked that young man," the old man clicked his tongue, "now's time for the fun part. Revealing who was the Mafia, Angel, and who was saved by the angel."

All of us sat back down in the living room, all looking for explanations. Like before, the old man paced around in the middle of the circle we made.

He threw up his hands and laughed.

"The angel was..." he left us all wondering as he spun his finger around at each and every one of us, " Talia!"

She lowered head, to again, not be noticed. Then the old man continued.

"The angel saved..." he spun his finger around once more, " Tyler!"

All my friends looked surprised as the eyed me and then searched for Talia. I looked over at Kayla who sat beside me. She almost looked a little jealous. Then glancing across from me, Katrina smiled at me. She crossed her arms as if she was impressed.

"And now for the Mafia. The star of it all. Drum roll please." We all stood silence as the psych old man grew anger with us. " I said... DRUM ROLL PLEASE!" the old man demand and stomped onto the ground with his foot like a child. We all did as we were told and drum our fist on the filthy ground. 

As my knuckles rubbed against the floor, It felt as if sharp nails were piercing my skin. I didn't seem to be the only one because the other kids also lifted their hands to examine the sharp pain. Examining my hand, blood drips from my knuckles. Then glancing at the ground, I see nails, nails that weren't there before.

I wince in pain. And when I attempt to scream. Nothing leaves my house. I feel at my mother and find no curve of my lips. I search the room for a mirror. Too scared to get up, I look long distance.  And I am afraid to say that I see nothing. My mouth has been wiped clean off my face. Then looking over to Kayla, tears fall from her eyes and her face clutches. 

"Sorry for the inconvenience ladies and gentlemen. But you won't need those for the next round," he smirks at all of us, "And now the Mafia... Adam!"

I knew it.

We all watch as the old man jumps happily up and down and claps his hands together. He's overjoyed.

"Now for the next round," the old man excitedly stated.

He moved to Samar again first and whispered in everyone's ear. 

When he got to me. He did not eye or act amused. This was a good sign.

"You are..." he stood silent, to again, keep me wondering, "not the Mafia."